Switching between send and recv in software serial

Hi,

I’m using Arduino Uno and need to use software serial to communicate with other devices like modem or meter etc.

Using available single hardware serial, I’m able to connect to one device and function properly. Now I’m trying to use the software serial instead of the hardware one. I’m facing problem, as I can either send or receive only but not both on the softserial. Is there any way to have both send and receive? In my case, I need to send some request to the device (like Modbus) and expect the response from the same, which I’m unable to achieve with the softserial.

Could you please help me with some suggestion in correcting this and moving forward?

Thank you,
~Jinoj

From the Arduino SoftSerial reference page

If your project requires simultaneous data flows, see Paul Stoffregen's AltSoftSerial library. AltSoftSerial overcomes a number of other issues with the core SoftwareSerial, but has it's own limitations. Refer to the AltSoftSerial site for more information.

jinojs: I need to send some request to the device (like Modbus) and expect the response from the same, which I'm unable to achieve with the softserial.

Without in any way cutting across @UKHeliBob's advice ...

What you describe should be doable if the device knows not to transmit until after it has received the request.

...R

I believe the OP is requesting full-duplex support.

Or that at least he believes that it is needed.