Switching on Serial Monitor from code?

I suspect I know the answer is “No”… but it would be nice if there was a way to switch on the monitor when a sketch that uses it is loaded to the Arduino.

There isn’t such a thing is there?

I suspect I know the answer is "No"

You are right. The Arduino can not make another computer do something, unless that computer is listening. The only place the PC can listen to the Arduino is the serial port.

The Arduino can not make another computer do something, unless that computer is listening

Yeah.... good point. Pity, that.

No. Make it listen... and open a monitor... Hyperterminal?

Bob

JimboZA:
I suspect I know the answer is "No"... but it would be nice if there was a way to switch on the monitor when a sketch that uses it is loaded to the Arduino.

There isn't such a thing is there?

So arduino switches on AC power to a PC, PC boots up and has a bat file script run at start-up that loads a serial terminal program and Bob is your uncle. If the PC is already running, have it running the PC go between unio (sp?) PC program that listens on a given comm port and activates a terminal program when commanded to from the arduino sketch, and Jane is your aunt.

Lefty

So arduino switches on AC power to a PC, PC boots up and has a bat file script run at start-up that loads a serial terminal program and Bob is your uncle. If the PC is already running, have it running the PC go between unio (sp?) PC program that listens on a given comm port and activates a terminal program when commanded to from the arduino sketch, and Jane is your aunt.

I was thinking more along the lines of:

Serial.startMonitor;

JimboZA:

I was thinking more along the lines of:

Serial.startMonitor;

Good luck with that. :wink:

Lefty

Back in the Day... I had little TSR's that I kept in high memory and it wasn't too hard to write an application in 'Basic...' Micro$oft PDS 7.1, that listened to a serial port for traffic and called another app or TSR that was perhaps a terminal program. I did so for an app I was writing for an irrigation controller to call the terminal program I'd written to talk to my controller base hardware. The irrigation controller used radio and the program could be called when any field unit changed status. It was also a simpler time as there were no 'GUI' type operating systems available... Dos 6.22 was relatively easy to work with and everybody knew where the ports were... they didn't have to be 'enumerated' first. See what progress has bought us...

Bob

gobetwino, not the answer your looking for exactly but maybe worth a look http://mikmo.dk/gobetwino.html