Synchronising data to a computer...

Hello,

How are you?

I'm Haziq Najee and I'm from Malaysia.

The reason why I created this new post is to find out if it would be possible to synchronise data from Arduino wirelessly to a computer. Preferably not through a website. Truthfully, I would not only like to synchronise data from Arduino but, also to erase the stored data once it has been successfully synchronised.

I would also like to implement a routine where one memory storage device would not be able to be ejected unless, the Arduino writes sensor data onto a secondary storage device. I will probably use an SDCard as it is the norm storage device when using Arduino. This change of storage device can be done through the push of a button. I will probably use an Arduino Uno to complete all this.

I believe that this routine may enable secure and reliable data transfer.

If anybody has an opinion or know how to make any of the idea above into a reality please leave a comment.

Your support is very much valued.

This is certainly possible so long as you're comfortable with writing a client at the PC end of the task.

I would also like to implement a routine where one memory storage device would not be able to be ejected unless, the Arduino writes sensor data onto a secondary storage device.

How were you hoping to physically prevent this? You could certainly put safeguards in place such that additional data is written to a temporary EEPROM queue (as an example) as a temporary location if the SD is unavailable. I'm not sure how you'd prevent removal of media however.

Geoff

Thank you so much for the reply Geoff,

I really appreciate it.

You must think my idea about the SDCard quite funny huh? I was actually thinking of using a micro servo motor to control the locking mechanism that I would have to design based on current common SDCard holder/reader. It would probably require ingenuity to mask the locking mechanism. A lot of hard work maybe. The EEPROM idea is quite more feasible.

Thank you for the idea.

About writing a client at the PC end of the task. What does that mean?

Is it comparable to writing a program for the receiving computer so that the receiving computer would automatically establish connection with the XBee transmitter of the sensor and synchronise data that is on the SDCard of the sensor to the computer. Maybe create a file everytime the synchronisation happens.

Is writing a client something like that?

Haziq_Najee:
About writing a client at the PC end of the task. What does that mean?

Is it comparable to writing a program for the receiving computer so that the receiving computer would automatically establish connection with the XBee transmitter of the sensor and synchronise data that is on the SDCard of the sensor to the computer. Maybe create a file everytime the synchronisation happens.

Yes that's exactly what I meant - a program to manage the synchronisation process at the PC end.

Wow!!! That is real nice. Unfortunately, I don't have any experience in writing such a program.

Would you know where I should start?

I've only heard about Phython. I kind of doubt that Phython could run such programs. Could it?

Hurm... is there any software or language that I could learn that you think would be suitable to write such a program?

Python can certainly be used to communicate with external devices on the PC (even via wireless). If that's a language you're learning or are familiar with it will probably be worthwhile working out if there are existing examples of projects in Python that do a similar thing already.

:cry: I've never used any programming except to program Arduino or PIC.

Is there any language that you reccomend for starters like me?

Phython seems a bit too complicated to learn right now.

I'm in no position to recommend.

But, for what it's worth I think more important aspect is to work out how your project will do what it does, then you'll know the necessary building-blocks you need to construct, and from there you can find out whether the language, hardware and tools you've selected are capable of the job. The language at the PC end is just one of those tools.

All the best with your project, Geoff

Thank you Geoff, you've been a great help.

Step-by-step. I get it. Thank you.