Tachometer setup

Seeing if it would be feasible to use a Attiny85 chip interpreting a signal from a v6 car engine distributer tach output connection and displaying rpm onto a tm1637 driven 4 digit 7 segment LED display panel. Could also use some pointers in programming this setup if its possible. Still new to programming.

Also similar setups using the same display panels using a voltage divider picking up signal from a factory 80s gm single pin common ground water temp sensor. May need to program a value curve to match the readings.

Possibly also speed sensor using an infared sensor (located on board vehicle) that used to sense speed for vehicles equipped with cruise control (cable driven speedometer) the sensor is in the cluster it just uses infared on a spinning disc where the speed cable plugs in. It uses a double infared sensor. I assume when it senses itself on a reflection on the disc it triggers. That sensor has a 3 pin connection for the 2 infared sensors. And if i could use that and interpret M.P.H. onto the display. I believe the Attiny 85 would be adequate. 1 for each task. Any pointers or recommendations are much appreciated. My end goal is to use a “parts” gauge cluster and rebuild with digital readouts to create a fully digital gauge cluster for this car. (Its from 1985 theres basically no electronics for anything). I hope to create a sort of “period correct” look since around that time is when the cool digital clusters were coming around.

You forgot to describe the "signal from a v6 car engine distributer tach output connection". Without tht information, we are cluless!

Paul

Theres literally a plug on the distributer that says "TACH" that can be hooked to like. Aftermarket tachometers

cserucsak:
Theres literally a plug on the distributer that says "TACH" that can be hooked to like. Aftermarket tachometers

Ok, describe the signal from that plug? Or is it a socket on the distributor?

Paul

Yeah its a older GM HEI distributer on the car. The distributer just has a socket you can plug into for tachometer. I believe they just have a pulse generated every time the coil "fires" which is why those aftermarket car gauges have that switch for number of cylinders.