Takes too long to compile

I'm using Windows XP and the computer takes almost 15 minutes to compile a simple program. I've used Studio and WinAvr with a STK 500 to download before and it usually only takes a few seconds to compile and load. Using the Arduino interface take forever for any action. Any ideas on why it takes so long to compile and download?

Java? ;)

Although I've never waited longer than about ten seconds.

Almost the same here, but not as bad, in windows vista the arduino ide takes up to 30 seconds to compile, in ubuntu 10.04 its almost instantaneous.

This is very interesting... did you check your upload baud rate?

I seem to recall this symptom post about before? I've never seen the problem, but seem to recall it is (was?) a java problem and required reinstalling the Arduino package. Also might be different problems depending on what OS is being used?

Lefty

AlphaZeta, only compiling, no upload involved, and even the upload takes longer to start, microsoft and their thingies

How much memory does that computer have on board? Sounds like you're hitting virtual disk memory due to memory exhaustion, something easily accomplished while running java programs.

Almost the same here, but not as bad, in windows vista the arduino ide takes up to 30 seconds to compile, in ubuntu 10.04 its almost instantaneous.

it is almost instant on my mac too, so I would guess it is a windows problem.

although, some people would say windows is an problem in itself…

I believe I have 512k of ram. How do I check the baud rate and why would the baud rate be a factor for only a compile? Download takes another 5 minutes to load the liquidware slide. I loaded an updated java without improvement.

I believe I have 512k of ram.

That might be a problem... ;D

Ok - you meant 512 MB of RAM; still, for XP, that's not great - workable, but not great. Drop 4 gig into that box, if you can (and if you can't, get a new box).

;)

for the record when I first got arduino I had a 866mhz P3 with 480 something megs of ram for my bench machine, and it was slow, but still in the range of seconds, my 2.4ghz celeron laptop has 384mb in it and its still in the seconds …

course that doesnt mean anything if all your ram is tied up with other programs, so give it the old 3 finger salute (thats 3 finger, ctrl alt delete, not the 3rd finger)

in the task manager goto performance and tell us how much ram you have free

and if your not running at least DDR2 ram its going to be expensive to upgrade ram for little effect, last time I bought DDR1 ram to upgrade my now bench machine to 2gb it was nearly 120$ for 2 sticks of 1 gig each, and I paid like 60 for 4 gigs of DDR2 ram

Sorry I don't have 512MB Memory I have 1.0 GB. I re-downloaded Arduino Antipasto18 and I am compiling as I type. The last compile took only 4 minutes. CPU usage seems low.