Talking from #1 Arduino to #2 Arduino wirelessly

I have connected #1 Arduino Duemilanove with the 'shield' (Maxstream Xbee Pro) onto it to one computer via the USB port.

I did exactly the same thing for #2 Arduino Duemilanove with another computer.

I want to send something from Arduino #1 to Arduino #2 wirelessly but i do not know how.

I have also problems with the X-CTU configuration program that i'm using. Can someone please help?......Thanks heaps!! :)

Can someone please help?

Sure. The first thing that you need to do is properly configure the XBees. That means that you need to tell us what kind of XBees you have. Pro is a power qualifier (they are higher power models), not a type qualifier. Are they series 1 or series 2.5?

I have also problems with the X-CTU configuration program that i'm using.

Then, stop doing whatever it is you are doing wrong.

Without details, it's impossible to be more specific than that.

Once you get the XBees configured, anything that appears on the TX pin will be broadcast by the XBee. Anything that the XBee receives will be put on the RX pin. The Arduino can make stuff appear on the TX pin by using Serial.write(), Serial.print(), or Serial.println().

Stuff can be read from the RX pin using Serial.available() and Serial.read().

Of course, this presumes that you've used Serial.begin() before any other Serial class method.

The stuff that the PC sends to the serial port appears on the RX pin, so you'll need some way to determine whether data came from the XBee or the PC.

I'm using series 1. MaxStream Xbee 802.15.4

I really need help with the configuration programming of the X-CTU.

Thank you :)

I really need help with the configuration programming of the X-CTU.

You'll need to let us know when you are running X-CTU, position the web camera so it can see your screen, and speak up while you are running it..

Otherwise, we are just guessing what problems you are having.

For the X-CTU programming, when i test/query, i get the comment "unable to communicate with modem"

I do not know what is the reason as to why i cannot get a successful test/query.

My COM ports are working. Can you help?

:)

Start with some links to the hardware you have.

Are you attaching the XBee to the shield, and attaching the shield to the Arduino with the ATmega chip still in place? If so, that's why you can't communicate with the XBee.

Oh really? Then how should i connect it then?

I checked many sources online but it seems like connecting the Arduino+shield+Maxstream Xbee can also get a successful test/query.

Should i remove the shield and connect the Maxstream Xbee onto the breadboard for testing?

Is there a possiblilty that my Xbee is bricked?

I really need help cos i need to transmit something from one Arduino to another to continue progressing in my project.

Thanks in advance. :)

I checked many sources online but it seems like connecting the Arduino+shield+Maxstream Xbee can also get a successful test/query.

When used in the fashion in the tutorials you looked at, the AT mega chip is removed from the Arduino. Otherwise, the Arduino is intercepting data you are trying to send to the XBee.

Should i remove the shield and connect the Maxstream Xbee onto the breadboard for testing?

The pin spacing on the XBee will prohibit that.

Is there a possiblilty that my Xbee is bricked?

Anything's possible. But, it is unlikely that this is your problem. If it is, the XBee is easily unbricked.

I managed to configure the two Xbees already. I'm also able to get successful test/query. Thanks for your help.

:)