Talking to Lilypad328 thru Duemilanove

I have been using my Duemilanove for a little while now and I wanted to create a wearable project using Lilypad328, but I am having some issues uploading sketches to it. In order to avoid buying an FTDI converter, I was hoping to use the one on my Duemilanove in the same method described here (basically, just removing the ATMEGA DIP, and connecting the Lilypad to 5v, gnd, RXI, TXO):

web.media.mit.edu/~leah/LilyPad/01_computer_attach.html

However, I keep receiving the classic error:

Binary sketch size: 1034 bytes (of a 30720 byte maximum)
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

The link shows the set-up with a Diecimila and what looks like a Lilypad168. Is there some difference between the Diecimila and the Duemilanove that are messing things up? Is there a problem with this set-up?

Dumb question: Is the power LED on the Lilypad supposed to blink slow → fast → off when you turn it on? I have not seen any description/explanation of this behavior.

Thanks,

BJ

After some research, (aka looking over both .sch files, I realized that the missing element was the DTR line from the Lilypad. The previously described set-up works with the addition of connecting the DTS pin (right-most when pins are up) to the RESET line on the Duemilanove.

I have only uploaded the Blink example on the IDE (v0021), but I am pretty sure this should work. So, if you already have one Arduino, you could skip the USB programmer for the Lilypad.