Tapping a pin on a surface-mount chip

I did something bad to one of my toy computers over the weekend - basically gave it a fuse setting that makes it require an external clock signal - and rather than toss it I'm going to try giving it a clock signal from another atmega328p for long enough to revert the setting.

Anyway, the best way I've figured out to connect to the clock signal is to stab a sewing needle through a stick, then rest it on the board, with the end of the needle poking the pin. Very low tech:

So the question is, what do people do for this in real life? Is there a standard tool for it, like maybe a tiny little claw to grab the pin or something? Specifically, the chip is a TQFP package with wee little tiny pins.

For repeated programming you can make up a jig with pogopins, but for a one-off I think your idea is as good as any really. If you arrange that every signal has at least one via on the pcb, you can then connect to a signal with just a stiff wire. I've done this on a crowded board for the SPI and reset pins to allow re-programming ICSP style - fiddly but possible if you have to reprogram, yet very little board area needed.

Another way is to carefully solder a thin wire on top of the pin in question, using wire-wrap wire or similar (used for modding pcbs too). Not so easy on a 0.65mm pitch component.

For soic and tqfp44 and smaller, you can solder a fine wire into the pin, termed a "flying lead".