TC and paddle shift on the same board?

Hi all,
Been away for a while.

I was trying to work out a traction control for my rwd car using an uno board.
After some series mechanical modification i have done now to the car, i also was interested in making a paddle shift with blipper downshift and sparkcut upshift. Some of the inputs that are needed for the paddle shift are already being used for the TC. How ever the Uno board is full up as regards to I/Opins.

What would you gurus suggest, to use the mega for having more I/O pins and use it for both, or should i just leave this uno for tc and use another uno for the paddle shift?

What are the pros and cons?

Regards
Cpur

That sounds like a complex project. There’s two things you can do to manage the complexity:

1. Reduce the number of boxes that need to talk to each other. Put everything on one board.

2. Reduce the number of functions done inside one box. That way you can swap out, disable or modify the one component which is playing up.

It is up to you to choose which direction to go. For an automotive application you have a lot of other considerations like making sure each box is waterproof. That can drive you towards option 1 even if option 2 is better electrically.

Pro of using a mega: easier to program all in one, no communication between the two.

Pro of using two Arduinos: two processors so double the processing power.

wvmarle:
Pro of using two Arduinos: two processors so double the processing power.

Except 10% of the processing power and 90% of the programmer time will be spent on the communications, so you don't get double.

Who was it that said "Adding more people to a late project makes it later"?

cpur:
Hi all,
Been away for a while.

I was trying to work out a traction control for my rwd car using an uno board.
After some series mechanical modification i have done now to the car, i also was interested in making a paddle shift with blipper downshift and sparkcut upshift. Some of the inputs that are needed for the paddle shift are already being used for the TC. How ever the Uno board is full up as regards to I/Opins.

What would you gurus suggest, to use the mega for having more I/O pins and use it for both, or should i just leave this uno for tc and use another uno for the paddle shift?
What are the pros and cons?
Regards Cpur

How do you plan on implementing the traction control - reducing fuel, retarding spark, applying brakes?
What type of inputs will you use to control the traction control - driveshaft acceleration, wheel speed sensors?
Does the Megasquirt have the capability of reading these inputs and doing the necessary calculations to implement the traction control?

Do you have an electronically controlled automatic transmission?.

I am working on doing something similar on my car. It has a GM 4L80E transmission and I am currently adding a Holley Dominator mulitport fuel injection system. The Holley system can control the transmission and includes a paddle shift feature. My car is used for drag racing, so my plan is to add hall effect wheel speed sensors and feed the inputs to an Arduino, do the calculations there, and signal the Dominator to retard the spark to reduce power in stages if front to rear wheel slip exceeds certain percentages.

Charles

Thanks for all the replies,

Regarding having two 16Mhz working together , sincerely is quite scary to me. I can get trough some debugging but i really get stuck on conflicts between two processors.

I think i will try to use the mega , however i never tried the mega and i don't know if the code can be just uploaded in a mega.

I only used the Uno for two projects , quite complex , and both worked fine after a heck of time debugging.

I have to get geared up again as the last i touched the UNO was about 9 months ago.

Regarding the TC i used wheel speed sensors on all four, clutch depressed+launch button for the launch control activate , and OP only goes to the msd amplifier signal , where it cuts ignition.
With a little bit of more code i also did the full throttle shift work, with quite a bang when the ignition goes on again , since i don't cut fuel.

Regards
cpur

I think all UNO code will run on a Mega without modification. The Mega just has extra copies of the same hardware added to the original 328p hardware.

I was checking the other Arduino boards right now. I got across the Due , seems quite sensitive at 3.3v but very powerful. Do you think the code will work on the Due aswell?

Regards
Warren

Who was it that said "Adding more people to a late project makes it later"?

Brooks - 'The mythical man-month'

Excellent book.

Allan

Yes the Due is quite powerful. Most Arduino code will run just fine on the Due. However not all libraries are in that category. If you are using more than 5 libraries then it is likely that one won't run on the Due.

How are you controlling the gearbox? Sequential manual gearbox or an electronic auto box?

Dear TrewJohn2001.

the gearbox is a sequential, and i still haven't started.

I have seen gearboxes controlled by solenoids, and other controlled pneumatically.
still undecided, but i think i am leaning towards the pneumatic side.

Solenoids are quite heavy, and to make all that force the system i saw use lipo battery of 36v into i believe a 12v solenoid. it will not burnout since it just get a pulse but its quite a hassle.