TCA9548A I2C Multiplexer

I am working on a project that involves toggling a connection between multiple wires to check for continuity with a multimeter. I want to be able to only have to check one lead and be able to switch the connections between wires. When the connection is made to a specific wire, I need no current running through it to accurately check the continuity. Would the TCA9548A I2C Multiplexer be a part that would allow me to do this. I basically need a gatekeeper which will allow me passively test different wires through the same test lead.

No. This chip is an I2C multiplexer, what you need is an analog multiplexer. If you use e.g. 1-to-8 multiplexers, you need two of them for checking 8 wires (one for each end of a wire).

I need no current running through it to accurately check the continuity.

How does that square with the laws of Physics then?

DrDiettrich:
No. This chip is an I2C multiplexer, what you need is an analog multiplexer. If you use e.g. 1-to-8 multiplexers, you need two of them for checking 8 wires (one for each end of a wire).

Exactly. Something like a 4051

But if you the cables under test connected to the IC, why not simply use an Arduino to do the continuity checking and dispense with multimeter ?

Of course there exist many ways to achieve the goal. A continuity tester can also be built with port expanders instead of multiplexers, with the added capability to detect short-circuits between wires, at no extra cost.