Teach a man to fish

I’ve been told that in order to truly know something, you must teach it to someone else, and now I’m giving you the opportunity to teach someone the basics of Arduino. I have an idea that I want to do for fun and that is to get a motion detector, hook it up to a basic noisemaker, and throw it all on the bottom of a skateboard. The goal is to make a skateboard that screams, preferably louder as it gets faster. What would I need to purchase? How would I go about wiring/setting it up? If you’re willing to give me instructions probably two or three times, please respond. If not, thanks anyways.

(deleted)

You need something that can scream, e.g. a piezo buzzer. Connect it to an ouput pin and use e.g. tone() to make it sound. Then add a rotary encoder to a wheel, to get the speed, and modify the tone accordingly. In the simplest case connect the piezo directly to the encoder.

First time someone tried to ride the rail with the skateboard, your circuit would be junk (if you could find the pieces).

its a penny board so im not doing tricks

Buy an Arduino and go through the examples that come with the free Arduino software development package (IDE).

That will give you a great start on your project.

gpsmikey: First time someone tried to ride the rail with the skateboard, your circuit would be junk (if you could find the pieces).

Embed the circuit in a slab of composite material, then machine that slab into the deck of the board.

Embed the circuit in a slab of composite material, then machine that slab into the deck of the board.

That is actually a pretty good idea.

Teach a man to fish!

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.

Give a man a bank and he can rob the whole world.

Grumpy_Mike: Give a man a bank and he can rob the whole world.

+1

...R

DrDiettrich: You need something that can scream, e.g. a piezo buzzer. Connect it to an ouput pin and use e.g. tone() to make it sound. Then add a rotary encoder to a wheel, to get the speed, and modify the tone accordingly. In the simplest case connect the piezo directly to the encoder.

That will make the pitch increase as the board goes faster, it will do nothing to change the volume. You need a programmable gain amplifier to do that.

A piezo buzzer is not going to be very loud, especially if it's mounted on the bottom of a skateboard where there's going to be significant ambient noise from the rolling wheels and other outdoor noises. You would probably need a proper speaker, maybe 0.5W.

Or use a teensy 3.2 and multiply each sample by a constant before outputting it. You change the volume by changing the multiplication constant.