Tele-Robot

Greetings!

As the topic says, it's a robot where the bulk of the processing is done remotely. An arduino with wifi connection, ($73), a motor shield ($20), a driving carriage (a Radio Shack RC truck, $17), a wifi camera ($75), a GPS sensor ($30). Other sensors too, but my real interest is in what processing can be done on the video, given the processing power of a desktop computer.

So, who's done it before, and what did you learn?!

Thanks!

but my real interest is in what processing can be done on the video, given the processing power of a desktop computer.

The Arduino does only move the camera around, as a wifi cam can send data to a PC directly. So in your story there are only three limits, - the resolution of the wifi cam ? compression? - the bandwidth of the network ?3G 54Mbit? - the processing power of PC ?

If these are all a bit state of the art you can do almost anything, e.g. a wifi cam sends 25 frames/sec 640x480, wifi 3G can handle that, and PC can do almost realtime video analysis or manupulations today.

So it depends on what you want to make

Actually, the arduino doesn't even move the camera. It just takes care of the motors on the carriage, and reporting values for other sensors. My goal is to use variants of the mpeg algorithms to get displacement values for areas of the image, and process these into 3d info. We'll see!