Temp Controller Concept-NEWBY LOOKING FOR RECOMMENDATIONS-

Hi,

I am developing a concept of a temp controller device that takes an analog input from a temp sensor input and setpoint from a UI then turns the heat source knob with a DC Motor and potentiometer as the feedback/encoder using a PID (or portion of) control to maintain the setpoint.

My question(s) are if the Arduio products can do this and if anyone has any examples or recommendations of all or protions of the project hardware and program. I am not an EE or programmer, so I will be learning on the fly. My skills are mech design with some knowledge of control systems, but not at this level.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
buckmartin

To read the temperature look for examples with the LM35 or TMP36 temp sensor. These go up to ~150C.

The simplest "UI" would be a potentiometer. If you want an LCD and buttons to control it then you should look up the Phi Shield or similar.

To control the temperature knob an RC servo would be the simplest method as it already has built-in feedback and has the torque you need. If you're trying to turn the knob on a stove or such then I'd really recommend getting an electric hot plate instead and using a Powerswitch Tail or similar to turn it on/off. Automating a gas control knob with any kind of motor is kinda spooky.

HI BuckMartin,

Welcome in Arduinoland, as you are new I advice you to go through the tutorial section and experimetn with the examples there. You will see lot of code that can be used in your project and you will learn alot about how things can be done on a Arduino.
Furthermore there is the playground where many projects and libraries are discussed, including some involving temp sensors. Check them out.

If questions rise, just ask

Thank you for the advice. I will look into the products mentioned.

buckmartin:
I am developing a concept of a temp controller device that takes an analog input from a temp sensor input and setpoint from a UI then turns the heat source knob with a DC Motor and potentiometer as the feedback/encoder using a PID (or portion of) control to maintain the setpoint.

If your application requires fine granularity, you may want to consider "fuzzy logic" techniques and applications. Sample-and-hold can cause quite wide temperature swings.

It depends on your application, of course.