Temperature and humidy controller

Hi all,

I have a project of developing a intelligent system to automatically control the temperature and humidity of a home. I will doing this on a small scale to show that it works.

For this I did research and for components to control the temperature and humidity I managed to find the following:

-> Dht11 to sense the temperature and humidity of a room -> Heating pads to increase or decrease temperature by turning it off or on. Not sure if there's better item for this. -> For humidity control I'm thinking of using another heating pad dipped into a container of water to be on when humidity is low, so that the temperature increase will evaporates the water. To decrease the humidity, turn off the heating pad and maybe turn on a fan.

Not sure if these components that I'm thinking of will work. Maybe you could suggest something better to control the temperature and humidity with.

Thank you

A heating pad dipped in a tray of water? Only if you have a death wish.

What's wrong with an ultrasonic humidifier?

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

To decrease the humidity, turn off the heating pad and maybe turn on a fan.

Before your system does any action to increase or decrease temp or humidity, you should also have a temp/hum sensor outside and check those conditions, it may be cheaper energy wise to pump with a fan some outside IN.

Tom... :)

Reply to AWOL's question:

I take it that the other two components one for detecting temperature and humidly and one for temperature control are fine. Or is there a better way of doing this.

I didn't know about Ultrasonic humidifier. Going to have a look at one which I can use.

Reply to TomGeorge

The system is only for inside, it's not going to be checking for temperature outside. It will be controlled by an app developed for android phone. the app will let the user communicate to the Arduino. To sense temperature and humidity I will use DHT11. This brings me to my next question, as I will control this wirelessly, would HC-06 RS232 TTL as a Bluetooth be fine to use.

Also, I will be controlling by this through an android app that will tell Arduino via Bluetooth what temperature and humidity is required. For the Bluetooth, would HC-06 RS232 TTL be fine to communicate between android and Arduino.

Thank you

Hi,

I think you miss my point, use the outside atmosphere to help control the inside atmosphere.

• If its too hot and outside is cool, pump some cool outside air in.
  • If inside humidity is too high and outside is low, pump some outside inside.
  • If its to cold inside and warmer outside, pump some outside inside.
  • etc etc

before you turn energy absorbing equipment on.

Just a ecological thought.. Tom.. :)

Reply to TomGeorge,

Hi,

This project is a simple university project, so I’m given a budget of £100 to work with. It can go up but this depends on the lecturer, if they allow it. So I want to keep it as simple as possible and be within the budget, so that I don’t end up using too much time for the project and having no time to revise for the subjects. Also, the project last for 4 months and this will involve learning Java (for Bluetooth) and Arduino coding.

Is it possible to just keep it simple please.

Thank you

Hi, No problem.. Tom.. :)

Hi

would ultrasonic humidifier work for both increasing and decreasing the humidity or a dehumidifier is required for this.

Satvir

Satvir019: Hi

would ultrasonic humidifier work for both increasing and decreasing the humidity or a dehumidifier is required for this.

Satvir

A humidifier can not dehumidify. Also the only practical dehumidifiers work by condensation coils. As you have expressed concerns about the complexity of your project, I suggest leaving dehumidification out.

aarg: A humidifier can not dehumidify. Also the only practical dehumidifiers work by condensation coils. As you have expressed concerns about the complexity of your project, I suggest leaving dehumidification out.

HI,

Can a simple fan at low speed do the job of a dehumidifier. Move only a bit of the air away. I just my option to be open just in case.

regards Satvir

Hi, If you move air away, what are you going to replace it with, from where.

There are desiccant dehumidifiers, might be worth googling for you project.

Tom... :)