Temperature, IR blaster, internet and light switch: Small Server room.

Hello

First off, Im brand new to the Arduino world so my apologies.

We are moving a couple of PCs to a small darj closed room with a AC unit that is controlled via remote control (IR)

Since it is closed and very small, I think it would be best to control the environment. This is where I think a Arduino board is perfect.

My idea is that the Arduino has attached a temperature sensor and a IR blaster. If it detects that the temperature inside the room reaches X degrees, it would turn on the preconfigured AC unit using the IR blaster. Once that lowers to another X degrees, it should be able to send another signal thru the IR blaster to turn off the AC unit.

Now, the reason I would like it for it to have internet access is that when these events occur, I would like to be notified via email. It would alert me when the AC is turned on, turned off, or if it was turned on but the temp keeps rising (failed AC unit or worst). Also remote access would be nice.

Also inside this room would be a IP camera. Due to it being a small dark room, I wouldn't be able to see. This is where a option to turn on/off via a digital signal the light would be nice. This way with the IP camera I can see the server room (both locally and thru WAN)

Is this small project possible? Also I would prefer to write this in Java and/or C# thru USB as they come like natural languages to me but I do understand they have a large memory overhead that a Arduino might not be able to handle

Just get the Arduino to do the basic control stuff and use java on a PC or similar to run the management of your application.

Then you have to decide how to communicate between your PC & the Arduino.

Serial/USB/wifi/bletooth/ethernet etc etc.

Try a small project first and you will quickly understand the potential....

AnalysIR:
Just get the Arduino to do the basic control stuff and use java on a PC or similar to run the management of your application.

Then you have to decide how to communicate between your PC & the Arduino.

Serial/USB/wifi/bletooth/ethernet etc etc.

Try a small project first and you will quickly understand the potential....

Like I mentioned, I am very new to this so I understand very little of what you are talking about.

I want to know if it is possible what I am planning to do.

1: Get a Arduino board with ethernet
2: Hook up a temp (humidity probably too) senor and IR blaster
3: Set up the Arduino as a secondary light switch for the lights inside that room.
4: Program in Java or C# a small program that detects temp/humid changes and sends a IR blast signal to a AC unit to turn it on and off. Also send me email
5: Transfer that program via USB

1: Get a Arduino board with ethernet yes
2: Hook up a temp (humidity probably too) senor and IR blaster yes
3: Set up the Arduino as a secondary light switch for the lights inside that room. yes, with relay or SSR
4: Program in Java or C# a small program that detects temp/humid changes and sends a IR blast signal to a AC unit to turn it on and off. Java & C# are not possible on Arduino Also send me email No thanks
5: Transfer that program via USB Yes if Arduino Firmware. No if Java

AnalysIR:
Also send me email No thanks

No, I ment the Arduino board should be able to send me a email when it detects changes and does actions.

OK that makes more sense. :slight_smile:

You could get an email from a standard Arduino with ethernet or wifi, but I would suggest using a management PC or similar for that.

Alternatively, an Arduino Yún @ $59+ would work well or something like the Spark core @ $39+( or newer Photon @ $19+, both via Spark.io) would be good.