Temperature measurement and speedometer

Hi. I have to design temperature measurement and speedometer circuit with arduino for prototype vehicle but i dont know which part i should start doing . Please give me an advice.

brcnyrdkl:
Hi. I have to design temperature measurement and speedometer circuit with arduino for prototype vehicle but i dont know which part i should start doing . Please give me an advice.

Well I guess I can help narrow it down to one of two - you could either start on the temperature measurement or the speedometer.

Hi,
You need first to see what is the current temperature sensor on the vehicle, if it has one, there are many types and you will need one that can be fitted to the engine in the appropriate position.
Speed measurement is the same situation, look at what might already be on the gearbox in the way of speed sensor.

The arduino can do the job, but you must be aware of the output types of the two sensors.
Then how are you going to display speed and engine temp., LCD, LED, Gauges.

You need to talk to the engine/transmission guys to see about sensors and the inteior guys as to how they want to display it, if its a prototype for proof of concept the nthe display may be simple.

Tom..... :slight_smile:

If you want to start with the easiest one first, then I suggest temperature as that won't vary much. Speed will need to be monitored/updated much more frequently.

Also there are many ready made temperature sensors available, but to measure speed, you need to do much more, such as counting wheel revolutions, or interrogating a gps receiver etc, and calculating the actual result.

TomGeorge:
Hi,
You need first to see what is the current temperature sensor on the vehicle, if it has one, there are many types and you will need one that can be fitted to the engine in the appropriate position.
Speed measurement is the same situation, look at what might already be on the gearbox in the way of speed sensor.

The arduino can do the job, but you must be aware of the output types of the two sensors.
Then how are you going to display speed and engine temp., LCD, LED, Gauges.

You need to talk to the engine/transmission guys to see about sensors and the inteior guys as to how they want to display it, if its a prototype for proof of concept the nthe display may be simple.

Tom..... :slight_smile:

Thank you for reply. I am thinking i use CNY70 for speed and LM35 for temperature. I want to get an output for driver with LED and at the same time i want to see with telemetry. Is there any sensor for speed CNY70?

JohnLincoln:
If you want to start with the easiest one first, then I suggest temperature as that won't vary much. Speed will need to be monitored/updated much more frequently.

Also there are many ready made temperature sensors available, but to measure speed, you need to do much more, such as counting wheel revolutions, or interrogating a gps receiver etc, and calculating the actual result.

Thank you for reply. I am wondering that can i read the speed with gps?

What kind of prototype vehicle are we talking about?
The sensors you choose might be perfectly fine, but without knowing more about the vehicle, that's hard to say.
For both sensors, finding an example including code for arduino is easily googled..

If you want to measure liquid temperature, like oil or water for the engine, the LM35 will not be the most obvious choice.
Same goes for the speedometer. CNY70 can be used, but depends on where in the vehicle you want to measure speed. A Hall sensor might be more appropriate, but we don't know the setup.

Hi,
We need more information about the vehicle.
What range of temperatures you are measuring
What sort of vehicle is it, gas/petrol or electric?
An LM35 will be useless with an internal combustion engine, if the engine is petrol then it should have a temp sensor if it is not a prototype itself.

So please tell us what the vehicle is?

Tom... :slight_smile:

rednas:
What kind of prototype vehicle are we talking about?
The sensors you choose might be perfectly fine, but without knowing more about the vehicle, that's hard to say.
For both sensors, finding an example including code for arduino is easily googled..

If you want to measure liquid temperature, like oil or water for the engine, the LM35 will not be the most obvious choice.
Same goes for the speedometer. CNY70 can be used, but depends on where in the vehicle you want to measure speed. A Hall sensor might be more appropriate, but we don't know the setup.

Our vehichle is in link below

It works with hydrojen. We will use CNY70 parallel with wheel for counting black and white band

TomGeorge:
Hi,
We need more information about the vehicle.
What range of temperatures you are measuring
What sort of vehicle is it, gas/petrol or electric?
An LM35 will be useless with an internal combustion engine, if the engine is petrol then it should have a temp sensor if it is not a prototype itself.

So please tell us what the vehicle is?

Tom... :slight_smile:

Our vehicle is in link below

It works with hydrojen and we want to measure fuel cell's temperature. And we will use CNY70 on the wheel with black and white bands.

What's the temperature range you want to be able to measure? And where will you measure the temperature?
The LM35 will go up to 150 °C. What is the operating temperature of the fuel cell?

For the speed, I would go for a hall sensor. Doesn't have to be more complicated, heavier, or more difficult than the setup with CNY70. It will probably even be easier and less likely to break. A small magnet (or 2 for balance) on the wheel or driveshaft or anything else rotating the wheel with a small sensor would do the trick.