Temperature sensing fan control for an enclosed media cabinet

Excited newb here. I'm working on ventilating my media cabinet with some netduino magic and a couple of laptop coolers.

I have two Rosewill Notebook Coolers that I'll be building into the base of the cabinet. They're each rated 5V, 0.25A.

Now I did manage to get the temperature sensor wired and working (awesome!), but I'm not quite sure where to begin with wiring up the fans.

• I'm guessing it's not a good idea to connect them both to the netduino's 5v pins because it's above the its current threshold?
  • If so, do I rather need to wire them up to a relay somehow? (Will this one do?)
  • If I use the relay, is a separate power source necessary, or can it share with the netduino? I was planning on using a FlipIT as a 5v power source.
  • Is there anything guide or anything else I need? I've read a guide on relays, but wasn't sure if that was superfluous to what I'm doing.

Any help will be appreciated!

Cheers!

unt1tled: - I'm guessing it's not a good idea to connect them both to the netduino's 5v pins because it's above the its current threshold?

Yes, it is not.

unt1tled: - If so, do I rather need to wire them up to a relay somehow? (Will this one do?)

A relay will do if you plan to control the fans in a ON/OFF fashion. Otherwise, you'll need some sort of power driver. Maybe a transistor or a dedicated chip.

unt1tled: - If I use the relay, is a separate power source necessary, or can it share with the netduino? I was planning on using a FlipIT as a 5v power source.

Probably a power supply would be best other than using USB. You must also use a transistor and a diode on the coil of the relay. There are 5V compatible relays.

unt1tled: - Is there anything guide or anything else I need? I've read a guide on relays, but wasn't sure if that was superfluous to what I'm doing.

Probably PWM control would be best for you... and power driver, L298 and something like that.