Tension detection/alarm

Hello guys,

In the context of my global home automation project, I want install a 220v detection/alarm (for example, for my freezer).

What I find in commercial shops are:

• either based on a GSM card : I do not want a new bill
  • or oriented towards a dedicated automation box solution, but I've mine (which is opensource, thanks Jeedom)
  • or relied on phone line to get its energy : but I no more have any phone lines.

So i imagine to build a new one, with specs as:

• first and obviously tension detection (not current, as there may not be any plugged-in appliance)
  • autonomous energy from rechargeable battery
    and as I have some 1.2v NiMH in my drawers, then go for NiMH batteries
    -> so have to maintain the load level of batteries, which probably implies some sort of charge/discharge cycles
  • alarm via NRF24 radio + MySensors protocol
    add-one option with wi-fi / mqtt
    add-on option is local buzzer
    add-on option is LED(s).

Has someone already have this sort of thought ?

It appears to me that the board will be mainly used by NiMH management, so some sort of a big hammer for a small target :frowning:

Some thoughts about this ?

Thanks in advance
Regards
Pierre

first and obviously tension detection (not current, as there may not be any plugged-in appliance)

Tension or voltage? I get the impression there’s a translation problem.

alarm via NRF24 radio + MySensors protocol

Where does that alarm end? If your device must be battery driven, how do you drive the receiving end?

Some thoughts about this ?

Seems you invested a lot of time in irrelevant details but forgot the basics. What should that alarm detect? A power outage? A device failure?

BTW: NiMH batteries are not a good choice for a device like this as they wear out too fast in such a scenario. LiPo or lead batteries are a better choice depending on the target environment (which you didn’t define).

Tension or voltage? I get the impression there's a translation problem.

Most probably, yes. Sorry.

I want detect the power outage, and, yes, my automation box is plugged in a UPS, along with a SMS gateway. So, I don't have to care about this part of the transmission.

Besides of the battery part, the system itself will be just a Nano+NRF24 : very simple indeed.

Thank you for your opinion about the LiPo batteries. I'm far for being a battery usual consumer, and your advice is precious.

Regards

Here is the power supply for one of my projects, take it and modify for what you need. It has battery back up and it has an output that you can connect to an analogue pin to detect power failure. Ignore the bits you don't need.

I was going to suggest simply pinging your broadband router from time to time. If it doesn't respond the power is out.

Does the UPS have monitoring software? Could you set up email alerting on it?

Does the UPS have monitoring software? Could you set up email alerting on it?

By the way, it has one, yes. I run the standard upsmon daemon in a CentOS box....
So, yes, you're right : maybe i do not need to actually test the voltage, but might just test the UPS status..................

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.