Tension Load cell readings

Hello, I am currently trying to use the Nano 33 BLE board in tandem with the Tension load cell from Degraw (I can link it if necessary) and a HX711 amplifier module. I’m running this sample code in order to test if any readings are being detected to no avail. I have attached both the code I am using as well as a schematic (I’m using D6 instead of D4 for DT) for my current connections, I’m not too sure what the issue is so any assistance would be extremely appreciated.

HX711.ino (1.74 KB)

I think you have D5 and D6 the wrong way round. You say D6 is DT, so it should be first in the declaration of the scale object.

Can you get any of the library examples to work?

I’ve tried it both ways but I’ll test that again, and no I haven’t gotten any of them to work. Edit: I have switched the pins so that D5 is connected to DT and D6 is connected to SCK but there are still no changes in the readings being displayed in the serial monitor.

This is wrong...

units = scale.get_units(), 10;

...and should be fixed. But may not be the source of your main problem.

I plan on changing the code, this is just a sample code for the HX711 for me to test the load cell

goldtracer: I plan on changing the code, this is just a sample code for the HX711 for me to test the load cell

"Just" sample code? :confused: It is important for your "sample code" to be correct, too.

PS: randomly swapping pins such as the data output and clock could be bad for your Arduino or peripheral. For example, think about what could happen if you connected a peripheral output (e.g. the HX711's data out) to an Arduino output (e.g. the clock output), and then, say, the HX711 holds the data output high while the Arduino output goes low? Or vice versa.

I can understand that, I'm still just learning the language so I can't fix it myself yet is all I meant :'( . And noted, I'll keep it in mind not to do that anymore thank you for the heads up!! I'm just honestly not sure what is preventing my readings from changing

goldtracer: Hello, I am currently trying to use the Nano 33 BLE board in tandem with the Tension load cell from Degraw (I can link it if necessary) and a HX711 amplifier module.

A common HX711 module is not suitable to be used with modern 3.3volt processors. Must use a HX711 module with separate 5volt analogue and 3.3volt digital supply connections, otherwise you will be rewarded with instability. Leo..

So you're saying that the 5V pin on the Nano 33 would not be sufficient for the HX711?

The analogue part of the HX711 must be powered with 5volt for the 4.3volt excitation regulator for the load cells to work properly. But the digital part must be powered with 3.3volt, to not damage the 3.3volt inputs of this processor. AFAIK Sparkfun.com has the only HX711 board with separate power connections. Leo..

So how are the Hx711 modules with the 4 pins intended to be connected to power?

The module in post#0 is 5volt only, designed for 5volt processors (the Uno in the Fritzing picture).

If you choose to use a 3.3volt processor (Nano 33 BLE), then you should use a HX711 board with 2 supply connectors (5 pins on the output side).

If you can solder, than it shouldn't be that hard to modify a common HX711 board yourself. Leo..

I ordered the sparkfun one with the split VCC and VDD, so that I won't have to modify a module. I also, managed to get readings from my HX711 using this library which uses the analog pins, any explanation why?

Analogue pins are just digital pins with the added functionality of analogue-in.
The library must use those pins as digital-in, because the HX711 only has digital outputs.
Leo…

Okay that makes sense thank you