test relay delay

Is there a method to test the dalay of a relay?

I have this relay (NA-5W-K)

Yes - temporarily use its NO contacts as an input 'button switch' and use millis() or micros() to time the difference in time between energising the relay and the switch closing?

Datasheet gives specifications. Do you have a need to confirm it?

Time Value Operate (at nominal voltage) Maximum 6 ms Release (at nominal voltage) Maximum 4 ms

Lefty

i saw that in the datasheet but i had seriously doubt if that was correct.
Then maybe my camera is to slow…
That would mean bulb mode and trigger a flash.

Yes - temporarily use its NO contacts as an input ‘button switch’ and use millis() or micros() to time the difference in time between energising the relay and the switch closing?

That will be this right:

output
pin 4
|
| output
| pin 7 input pin 8
| | |
| [r] |
| | |
[ R E L A Y ]
|
|
|
gnd

where [r] is a resistor to bring V back to the 2.5volt. I have constant output on pin 7, the moment i output on pin 4 i test for the incoming at pin 8.

Hi, What camera and shutter speed??

In the Olden days you could open the back of the camera and look thru the lens at a flash and see synchronization.

If you have the relay light an LED, and shoot some photos at different shutter speed? If DSLR maybe you have a choice of "Curtain" settings.??

A canon eos 400D, a shutter speed of 1/4000 (or however you write it down, the fastest).
I found out about mirror lock up which saves me around 60ms.

intresting:
http://www.doc-diy.net/photo/shutter_lag/

Ok, What are you doing with the relay? I assumed you were triggering the camera and a flash.

1/4000 is much too fast for flash..

What are you trying to accomplish??

[magnet]

-------------------------- metal plate [hall efect sensor]

magnet drops by gravity, i wanted to make a photo close before it hits the metal plate. The delay of the camera is only to much so i will put the hall efect sensor in mid air.

So, no flash, other illumination?