Test stand for remote wire (SMA) testing

Welcome everyone,

Hope you are well and smile this days!

At the beginning I would like to remark two things: First, Im a greenhorn in your world, but I have some basic knowledge about electronic. Two, theoretically I have Arduino Leonardo, but if you know how to solve my problem with other module, I will gladly buy everything what is necessary.

I would like to measure characteristic of wire (SMA - Shape memory alloy) in vacuum. I have no problem with mechanical part of my test stand but obviously I have a huge problem with electronic. I would like to heat the wire remotely (the measurement take place in the vacuum pump) with Joule heating and control my voltage, and be able to read the temperature in real time. My question is, what components do I need for this system? It would be great if you give me also some hint how to connect it, but I will be amazingly grateful just for pointing out what do I need!

As far as I did my research I think I need some WiFi module (or radio module e.g. nRF24L01), probably MOSFED, MAX6675 with LM35 as cold junction thermocouple?, some resistors and of course Solderless breadboard, Arduino, and cables.
I’m really not sure if my thoughts are going in the right direction, I do my research but beginnings are hard. More I read, less I understand. Is it at all possible?

Thank you for any help! <#

It appears you have designed the solution but have not defined the problem. This happens a lot. A few things needed is some of the physical properties of your test. You are using joule heating, what current at what voltage is required for this, if it changes let us know. What measurements are you taking, you state in a vacuum pump, I have a feeling it is in a vacuum chamber. What is the temperature range and what accuracy is needed. Is this for production, a laboratory experiment or a student project? Since you are talking wireless what is environment like. When we know most of these answers we can better give you a more accurate answer to your question. Good Luck.

Your post caught my eye because of the "SMA", which to almost all of us refers to a small coaxial connector suitable for use at VHF and UHF and beyond.
Please describe the power requirements for your project and how you intend to connect them and maintain the vacuum.
Paul

Terribly sorry for my lack of precision and thank you for clear and nice words!
So current will be rather in the range of ampers (about 0 - 2 A I assume). And voltage will be in range about 0-5V.
Of course, it is a vacuum chamber, I need to examine the temperature in a couple of points and be able to control the voltage. Temperature is in range circle about 0 - 100 degree C and if I obtain accuracy +/- 1 degree C it will be great.
I would say that this is student experiment. It is the vacuum chamber environment (about 5Pa) so l'm not able to connect any cables, and thus I need to control it remotely and connect to battery. Regarding to other measurements I want to connect strain gauge and maybe couple different things in later stage. Thank you Gil for pointing out these things!

Paul_KD7HB:
Your post caught my eye because of the "SMA", which to almost all of us refers to a small coaxial connector suitable for use at VHF and UHF and beyond.
Please describe the power requirements for your project and how you intend to connect them and maintain the vacuum.
Paul

That's exactly my main problem here Paul. I wouldn't need Arduino to make that measurement if it would be without sealed chamber! I really hope it is feasible, but more I read about it, more I am confused

tom053:
Terribly sorry for my lack of precision and thank you for clear and nice words!
So current will be rather in the range of ampers (about 0 - 2 A I assume). And voltage will be in range about 0-5V.
Of course, it is a vacuum chamber, I need to examine the temperature in a couple of points and be able to control the voltage. Temperature is in range circle about 0 - 100 degree C and if I obtain accuracy +/- 1 degree C it will be great.
I would say that this is student experiment. It is the vacuum chamber environment (about 5Pa) so l'm not able to connect any cables, and thus I need to control it remotely and connect to battery. Regarding to other measurements I want to connect strain gauge and maybe couple different things in later stage. Thank you Gil for pointing out these things!

That's exactly my main problem here Paul. I wouldn't need Arduino to make that measurement if it would be without sealed chamber! I really hope it is feasible, but more I read about it, more I am confused

The very first thing yo need to do is to test ALL the components, especially a battery, in your vacuum chamber. Most electrical and electronic components are NOT rated for operation in any vacuum. You can check data sheets on all the devices and see if they limit operation below certain altitudes. You may need to look into stuff that is used in high altitude balloon telemetry.
Good luck, Paul

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.