Testing a Motor Out - Help?

Hey everyone,

I'm an undergraduate research assistant, currently working on building a Static Light Scattering device (SLS).

I'm using this motor: ES030A - 30mm Brushless Rotary Motor | Stepper Motor | Pittman Motors

Anyway, I am trying to figure out if this motor is even working or not, because it's having some trouble when connected to a drive and encoder. I've tried looking up some tutorials on the internet for how to write a program and wire this up with a potentiometer to try and ascertain if this motor works or not, but I'm not really finding what I need. I should mention that I'm not terribly experienced with motors.

There are 8 wires that come out of this motor assembly - three for Phase A, B and C. There are another 3 for Hall 1-3, and two more for ground and 5V DC.

I know how to wire up ground and the 5V, but I'm having some trouble figuring out how to wire the remaining connections to the Arduino. Any suggestions? I would also like to write some basic software that will allow me to see if this works at all, not trying to get it to do anything special at the moment.

Any and all help is appreciated, thanks in advance!

Jeremy

A good way to go ahead with a project is to define what actions You need. Then search for equipment that can do that, and read the data specs, application notes. Select items that You feel You understand how to work with.
Your question, sorry, sounds like randomly selecting things, or looking in the scrap bin, and then trying to make something.
Tell what You do know and how You're thinking.

Do you have the RECOMMENDED CONTROLLER?
Paul

Why do you have "Stepper Motor" in the name of that link? This isn't a stepper motor.

A 3-phase brushless motor driver is needed, one that supports Hall sensors for commutation. If you are not into designing and building your own motor driver, the recommended driver is the way to go.

I note the specs list a large range of different winding voltages - make sure the driver and motor match for this parameter.

It's not really that. There is a budget, but I would like to try and make sure that all the equipment I have on hand is actually malfunctioning before I go through channels to acquire new parts. I can explain my goals in more detail:

The SLS Assembly has a few different parts. The driver is connected to the motor (the one I believe isn't working), and an encoder which has been mounted to it (the encoder works, I've tested it). The driver has 10 I/O pins that I will later be connecting to the Arduino to relay radial coordinates from the encoder. Right now, I'm testing the motor to see if it works, otherwise I will have to ask for another one. This motor will be horizontally mounted to another gear system that will cause an arm with a Photomultiplier Tube to rotate radially about some dish with particles my colleagues are synthesizing.

Yep yep! This is the exact driver I have. This may also be malfunctioning, but I'm working on troubleshooting this too.

Ah sorry about that, it's just the title that the website has given the URL. I do have the driver (another user listed it above), but I haven't been able to get the motor spinning using the specific IDEA Drive software that is required. I'm fairly certain I have everything wired correctly, but when I write a simple program with the IDEA software, the motor won't move at all. This may be a sign that the motor isn't working, but it also might mean that the drive isn't working, which is why I'm testing to see if the motor is working using the Arduino - if it rotates using Arduino, the drive must work, and if it doesn't, then the drive is fine and the motor is the problem.

That's also another problem I have - the IDEA software requires the motor specs to be inputted in upon launching the program. Since you've brought this up, I'm using a separate power source to power the whole setup. As I understand it, I choose a voltage above 12V DC and then I just input the specifications for that voltage range. Does that sound correct?