testing capacitors

If a capacitor tester such as https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009CSR8BA/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_y44cDbDKD1ZH8 shows a value that is expected (printed on the cap) does it mean that the capacitor is good? Or can't a meter such as this test for all faults? Reason being... I have such a meter and I am testing a ceiling fan capacitor. The motor won't start yet the capacitor meter shows the expected value.

If a capacitance meter shows the expected capacitance then that aspect is good. (That is, if you trust the meter.)

But a capacitor has more parameters than it's capacitance. Leakage (current), series resistance, voltage rating, type etc. Some you can measure. And what's important when can fill a complete book.

Switches can go bad in ceiling fans, just like everything else. Multi-speed ceiling fans use different values of series capacitors to change the motor speed. They act like AC resistors.

Please tell us you have tested the switch.

Paul

Yeah the switch is good. Both the reversing and speed selector.

freakdaddy: Yeah the switch is good. Both the reversing and speed selector.

OF course, there is no schematic for the fan. How many capacitors are in the motor housing? What are their values? Can you make a hand drawing of the motor. switch connections?

Paul

freakdaddy: If a capacitor tester such as https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009CSR8BA/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_y44cDbDKD1ZH8 shows a value that is expected (printed on the cap) does it mean that the capacitor is good? Or can't a meter such as this test for all faults? Reason being... I have such a meter and I am testing a ceiling fan capacitor. The motor won't start yet the capacitor meter shows the expected value.

Its not clear if that meter tests for anything but capacitance.

You need to test for leakage to be useful for high voltage capacitors.

Thanks everyone for your insight. Pretty much everything checked ok so I opened the motor and found this…

Time for a new one.

IMG_20190620_222711.jpg
Hmmm.

Tested the capacitor, forgot to test the motor!

I didn’t forget. A lack of experience and a wiring diagram made me not understand what I was seeing with the meter on the motor leads.

What ever was there probably came with the fan from China.

Paul

The verdigris (green stuff, copper carbonate) indicates moisture - if moisure is present the replacement motor is likely to fail the same way.

It was in the kids room. Other than normal humidity for the house it really wouldn't get wet. And Ohio this time of year things really haven't been humid yer. Plus the AC removes a lot of humidity.

those are the ugliest windings I've seen in a motor... just looks like shoddy work.