Testing human synchronization

Hello,
I am justed started with Arduino and I need to develop a way to test human synchronization. To do so, I wish to play a periodic sound for the user. Every time he hears it he will have to push the FSR. I know how to use the FSR such that I get the times and intensities at which the person pressed. However I need to run a periodic sound at the same time and to collet at what time the sound came. The sound and the FSR registering have to start at the same time so that I can use those data to examine the difference. As I said I do not know much about Arduino yet so could you tell me how I could proceed. Should I change the capture-gui.py code or is there something already created that i can use?

Thanks for your answers

Hi,
Please read the how to use this forum sticky post. It will help you ask a question.

Your post contains very little hard information. Like what Arduino are you using, what is the code you are running, how have you wired things up. And just what is human synchronisation?

You know all these things because it is your project. Sadly we don’t.

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

Please read the first post in any forum entitled how to use this forum.
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html .

You can make the Arduino produce the sound as well as monitor the FSR.

Tom.. :slight_smile:

Grumpy_Mike:
And just what is human synchronisation?

I think he or she means reaction? Sound a beep at random times and measure how long it takes the subject to hit the FSR?

BouBang:
I get the times and intensities at which the person pressed.

I'm curious about why the intensity is important though: can't you just use a digital button?

But anyway, I'd think about using random() to generate the intervals between the sounds, and I imagine the sound as just a beeper (edit: or just an led, even) turning on?. As each sound (edit: blink) starts, capture the millis() or micros(), and capture it again when the subject reacts; take the difference. Use millis() to also turn the beep off delay()-lessly so as not to interfere with the time capture.

BouBang:
Should I change the capture-gui.py code or is there something already created that i can use?

No idea what that means...

I think he or she means reaction? Sound a beep at random times and measure how long it takes the subject to hit the FSR?

Is this another example of Google translate getting things wrong or someone who doesn’t know what words mean?

I guess reaction time.

Have the Arduino start the sound (use e.g. the DF Player Mini), and measure how long it takes before the human pushes the sensor. Easy.

Even better might be too constantly monitor the sensor and if it is pressed before a sound is played, reset the random duration each and every time they prematurely press.

In which case simply google the words

arduino reaction timer

And ignore any project that has the word instructables in the URL

Grumpy_Mike:
And ignore any project that has the word instructables in the URL

For all their faults in schematics and so, those pages are great for inspiration.

The scariest that I have seen is where someone used a regular power plug as sensor. It's just waiting for someone to plug that into a wall socket...

OP I wrote a sketch that does part of what I think you want to do.

I just took the blink without delay sketch as a starting point, and added a button. When the led comes on, press the button and it tells you what the reaction time was. All delay()-less.

(No random blink of the led: it just uses the standard timing of the sketch, as a proof of concept. )

If you want it I'll post it.

instructable == destructible :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: