Testing NewSoftSerial Beta - need some help

Hi All...

This should be simple, but I'm missing something. I took my Uno, jumpered pins 2 and 3 on the header, and ran the NewSoftSerial beta 11 example. Nothing. Should that work?

I took my Uno, jumpered pins 2 and 3 on the header

As in ran a wire between pins 2 and 3?

and ran the NewSoftSerial beta 11 example.

Which example? Post the code. Examples are typically very short.

Nothing. Should that work?

Depends on the code matching the hardware. Does it?

Yes, ran a wire from header pin 2 to header pin 3. Here is the code below. Yes, it includes SoftwareSerial.h and not NewSoftSerial.h. This is because in the beta 11 version, the author has renamed it to SoftwareSerial in the hope that it will replace the existing SoftwareSerial library.

#include <SoftwareSerial.h>

SoftwareSerial mySerial(2, 3);

void setup()  
{
  Serial.begin(57600);
  Serial.println("Goodnight moon!");

// set the data rate for the SoftwareSerial port
  mySerial.begin(4800);
  mySerial.println("Hello, world?");
}

void loop() // run over and over
{
  if (mySerial.available())
    Serial.print((char)mySerial.read());
  if (Serial.available())
    mySerial.print((char)Serial.read());
}

the author has renamed it to SoftwareSerial in the hope that it will replace the existing SoftwareSerial library

It is not just "hope". NewSoftwareSerial (thankfully!) replaces SoftwareSerial in the next release.

Previous versions of NewSoftwareSerial did not support writing and reading simultaneously. That appears to still be true... http://arduiniana.org/2011/01/newsoftserial-11-beta/

In other words, what you are trying to do is not supported by the library.

[quote author=Coding Badly link=topic=63301.msg460110#msg460110 date=1307468673]

the author has renamed it to SoftwareSerial in the hope that it will replace the existing SoftwareSerial library

It is not just "hope". NewSoftwareSerial (thankfully!) replaces SoftwareSerial in the next release.

[/quote]

Well I was paraphrasing what he put on his web site. He himself wrote "in hope," I was not being sarcastic.

[quote author=Coding Badly link=topic=63301.msg460117#msg460117 date=1307468828]

Previous versions of NewSoftwareSerial did not support writing and reading simultaneously. That appears to still be true... http://arduiniana.org/2011/01/newsoftserial-11-beta/

In other words, what you are trying to do is not supported by the library. [/quote]

Well if that's true, perhaps the sample code needs to be changed.

I'll dig into the library a bit deeper to see if I can add async writing to it. If anyone is interested, I already added support for the 644P and the 1284P. I sent these changes to the author. I have been experimenting a bit more and yes, sending and receiving does seem to cause issues.

I was not being sarcastic.

I didn't think you were. I simply wanted to clarify why the name of the file was changed.

Okay, so looking through the code, I understand why we can only receive one channel at a time. I understand why we can only transmit one channel at a time. I understand why we can not receive why we transmit. But, if we're willing to lose data while we are transmitting, why can't we just put receive on hold while we transmit, then start to receive again?

Are you making any progress?