text unreadable on MAX7219

Stop mucking around with the extraneous.

Just plug the LED display into the Arduino and run Hello World example.
If it works, then the display is good.

If you cannot follow simple directions, I give up!

What simple directions are you talking about, and I see that you have not looked at the pics yet.

It seems that you not read my reply as it is now working.
Also using the Hello Worls sketch worked here except it was upside down

Sorry I thought you had downloaded and installed/uploaded the same sketch I am using, so you won't be able to answer my simple questions then.

avalon66:
What simple directions are you talking about, and I see that you have not looked at the pics yet.

It seems that you not read my reply as it is now working.
Also using the Hello Worls sketch worked here except it was upside down

Sorry I thought you had downloaded and installed/uploaded the same sketch I am using, so you won't be able to answer my simple questions then.

the text shouldn't be upside
if you bought the same product as used in the tutorial you linked

I wouldn't bother with anything else until you FIX that problem.

And why should I use the same sketch as you are using?
I don't have any of the hardware you have except for the LED and even then they are not exactly the same as the one you have.

No I bought a new one from the Micro Hut in the UK, and it works fine, that's what I said above. The original one I bought from Banggood, which doesn't display text properly, which is what I was saying before , about it been faulty.

The problem is FIXED!!!!

If you are in the UK, I'll happily sent the first 72109 to you so you can see for yourself.

As before, I ask a question, I post files , then explain what I have done, but it seems that I am not the only person here who does not read.

Then you get beligerent with me for not doing what you say, but I did if you read again what I said.

OK, let’s look at those pictures:

30f6f33a361e0382ac5301be3553d3315de8ce6b.jpg

59e1d90a4e3fb5ca8078ab67fed162df2e471983.jpg

b15ab7578e77eb5692f60f1833f7d9f7162539d1.jpg

The first one looks like a perfectly sensible display showing “16 95 oo”. Obviously you have the module sitting upside-down which is to say, rotated 180° from its correct position. The input end of these FC-16 modules - which is indeed what they are - is on the right hand side; this is simply how it is.

The other two pictures show other characters from the available character set. Obviously the display is still turned around the wrong way. So what is or was the problem?

I do seem to recall the library has switches to invert and/ or reverse the display - and doing both would rotate it 180° - but I cannot seem to locate them in the MD_MAX72xx.h file but your display appears to be working correctly so they are not needed in any case.

The pictures I posted/uploaded are the ones I took of the new MAX7219 led thingy, and not the old or other one I was initially using.

I posted the picture so that lee488 could see that the new one is working, and also so he could see the unreadable / characters which shows as it scrolls along.

avalon66:
The pictures I posted/uploaded are the ones I took of the new MAX7219 led thingy, and not the old or other one I was initially using.

So we will never know what the problem with them was.

Oh well ...

And also, the markings on the old MAX7219, ie 1088AS are not just poorly marked but on the opposite side to the new one where they are clearly marked.

Paul__B:
Not necessary. Look further in the documentation and you wil find the switches to invert or rotate the display.

I have asked the developer of the Parola library about this, and
he has replied that 1088B LED matrices will not work with FC-16 boards with his Parola library.

So if the eBay seller sends 1088B LEDs instead of 1088A LEDs, the Parola library will not work.

avalon66:
And also, the markings on the old MAX7219, ie 1088AS are not just poorly marked but on the opposite side to the new one where they are clearly marked.

Different manufacturers do different things.
There is not just one manufacturer of 1088AS LEDs.

avalon66:
I posted the picture so that lee488 could see that the new one is working, and also so he could see the unreadable / characters which shows as it scrolls along.

The unreadable/odd characters are from the sketch that you are using which you will need to debug that yourself or talk to the person who wrote it.

The Parola Hello World example sketch provided by Marco works fine for me, and I have no unreadable / characters.

ieee488:
I have asked the developer of the Parola library about this, and he has replied that 1088B LED matrices will not work with FC-16 boards with his Parola library.

So if the eBay seller sends 1088B LEDs instead of 1088A LEDs, the Parola library will not work.

Slight misinterpretation here. :roll_eyes:

The 1088 "A" and "B" matrices are polarity inversion versions.

It has nothing whatsoever to do with the Parola or any other library used. The FC-16 module is routed for a 1088A and there is simply no way a 1088B matrix will ever work in it. If you do plug the wrong matrix in, it will light up all LEDs due to the totem pole drivers of the MAX7219 and be uncontrollable. If you plug in either matrix upside down, you will get odd and useless patterns.

Paul__B:
Slight misinterpretation here. :roll_eyes:

The 1088 "A" and "B" matrices are polarity inversion versions.

It has nothing whatsoever to do with the Parola or any other library used. The FC-16 module is routed for a 1088A and there is simply no way a 1088B matrix will ever work in it. If you do plug the wrong matrix in, it will light up all LEDs due to the totem pole drivers of the MAX7219 and be uncontrollable. If you plug in either matrix upside down, you will get odd and useless patterns.

Not misinterpretation of anything. ::slight_smile:
I am well aware of the differences between 1088A and 1088B.
I have both of types in my possession.

And that is why I asked the OP whether it was possible his seller sent him the wrong LEDs when he wrote that he was getting unreadable text. He has the FC-16 boards.
You wrote to my question to the OP: Well, they either work or they don't, there is no half way so that is not the problem!
You then went on and claimed that it was possible to change the setting in the Parola library.
Go back and re-read you response #12.
I asked you how.
You never responded.
So, I went to Marco who developed the code and asked him!

Well, we seem to be speaking at cross purposes here.

When I was referring to Marco's code, I was considering the ability to invert and/ or reverse characters either individually per matrix module or the whole array, and I do believe that is available, though I cannot at present spot where.

This refers to a working display and the OP's description was that he had a display in which

avalon66:
I have uploade the Hello World sketch, and the word Hello is in reverse with 3 letter l's ollle h.
The letter H is part way off the screen.

I have also just tried the Parola_Print_Minimal, which prints Hello, and the word is upside down. BY mistake I left the Hardware type as Parola_HW, and yes the who word is upside down.
Now changed the Hardware type to FC16_HW and the word is all mixed up

This indicates that the display was indeed, working. It the wrong 1088 version is fitted, it will not display anything. If the matrix is inserted upside down, it may display apparently random patterns with meaningless flickering as text is scrolled, but nothing resembling text.

Thus "they work or they don't". With a validly designed module, there is no orientation of the matrix which will produce almost text. :astonished: