TFT LCD/SD Touch Arduino Shield with arduino mega 2560, SD card won't initialise

Hi there,

I have recently bought a arduino mega 2560 and a 10.1" LCD display with ER-AS-RA8875 Arduino shield from buydisplay (https://www.buydisplay.com/serial-spi-arduino-10-1-tft-lcd-display-shield-ra8876-for-due). I have tried to run their SD bitmap example which from my understanding should just be assembling the 3 components and uploading the code to the board. As well as adding the images to a micro SD. in terms of uploading, it compiles and uploads fine but when it runs in the serial monitor you can see the SD card is not being picked up and/or initialised.

I have attached the code I am using, anything else anyone needs to know please ask. Really need some help on this!!

Example.ino (8.19 KB)

Don't you think there might be a reason why this shield is explicitly marked as "for Due"? I guess it uses a 3.3V level on the SPI interface so if you connected it to a Mega2560 (5V) and provided power to it you might have damaged it already.

The vendor doesn't provide any documentation to the board (schematics is the least documentation I would expect), so I discourage anyone buying from that site.

The shield plugs into both the 5V and 3.3V pins of the mega so I assumed it drew from the correct supply it needed

The shield plugs into both the 5V and 3.3V pins of the mega so I assumed it drew from the correct supply it needed

And how should it know which voltage to choose? There are ways to do this but if the creator would have used that I wouldn't expect him to add the term "for Due" to the offer.
On that page the vendor clearly states that the board is only compatible with the Due, no other board is mentioned.

pylon:
And how should it know which voltage to choose? There are ways to do this but if the creator would have used that I wouldn't expect him to add the term "for Due" to the offer.
On that page the vendor clearly states that the board is only compatible with the Due, no other board is mentioned.

It does say in the shield data sheet and in the example code that the shield is compatible with the mega 2560 and the code works with mega 2560

It does say in the shield data sheet and in the example code that the shield is compatible with the mega 2560 and the code works with mega 2560

The linked product page clearly states that the board is only compatible with the Due.

The picture of the shield in the datasheet shows a solder bridge that has to be closed for 3.3V mode. I guess the board you bought has that bridge closed so you may damage it if you connect it to 5V.

Might it be that the spi pins for the due and the mega are not the same ?

Update:
So bought a due and tried the code on that and still hasn't worked. Still encountering the same problem.
What I don't get is in the code it defines the SD card as in pin 47 but the shield does not plug into pin 47

#define SD_CS 47

The response i get from uploading the code on the serial monitor is this

Initializing SD card...failed!
OK!

Loading image 'BMP_1.bmp'
File not found

Anyone got any ideas

So bought a due and tried the code on that and still hasn't worked. Still encountering the same problem.

You might have damaged the shield already by connecting it to 5V.

What I don't get is in the code it defines the SD card as in pin 47 but the shield does not plug into pin 47

All pins in your code don't connect to the shield if the picture on the vendors page is correct. Where do you have that code from? The code linked on the vendors page is completely different. Have you tried that one?