The dangers of buying from ebay in a hurry when tired...

Annoyance is buying 3 of something from ebay for £1.78 each because you couldn't find it anywhere else, even Farnell. Then having the item arrive still in it's original Farnell packaging, and finding it actually WAS available, for 28p including delivery, I'd just done a typo.

It took 4 days to arrive, and looking at this sellers other items for sale, I now see he has a fairly large part of the Farnell catalogue, at 400% markup.

So I guess he collects orders, gets them delivered next day, and posts them back out for a healthy profit. Nothing wrong with that, it's how all business work. I'm just gutted I got caught out for a stupid typo - one digit out!

The killer for buying one off or small quantities from the likes of RS, Farnell & Mouser is delivery charges. Sometimes I just cannot find the device I want on eBay so have to buy from Mouser and incur a £12 delivery charge. I try to batch stuff for doing this but it can delay completion of projects for day or weeks.

You might be interested to know that CPC do free delivery, NO minimum charge. It usually arrives the next working day.

I've countless times ordered the odd part or two totalling a value under £1 and lo and behold, there it is, usually next day.

The only time eBay wins hands down is the clone/China direct/importers. 4x40 lcd - £15 from CPC or £4.50 from eBay if you're happy to wait 10 days or so.

The only problem with CPC is their appalling search system - you can't combine or phrase search. So "12v voltage regulator" will show everything with 12v, voltage and regulator. If you're not seeking a specific IC number, it's usually easiest to Google the part along with the letters CPC.
They said they're launching a new site soon to fix the search and other issues.

I once asked how the hell CPC make any money delivering 50p parts free - apparently they get massive discounts from the couriers and Royal Mail as the outgoing post/courier is in "the tens of thousands" per day. I suspect when you've got that kind of volume, you can pretty much dictate your price and watch the courier companies line up to bid for business! And I'm pretty sure their warehouse must be automated "robot pick" for the volume they do. Don't know, though. Anyone?

Oh, and although that page says "special offers" and "promotion period", the agent said it was "ongoing indefinitely".

lardconcepts:
You might be interested to know that CPC do free delivery, NO minimum charge. It usually arrives the next working day.
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/bespoke/bespoke2.jsp?bespokepage=cpc/en_CC/special_offers/rdrlp/webfree.jsp

I do also use CPC but usually cannot get some of the less mainstream components from them that I can from Farnell, Mouser or on odd occasions RS.

lardconcepts:
Annoyance is buying 3 of something from ebay for £1.78 each because you couldn’t find it anywhere else, even Farnell. Then having the item arrive still in it’s original Farnell packaging, and finding it actually WAS available, for 28p including delivery, I’d just done a typo.

It took 4 days to arrive, and looking at this sellers other items for sale, I now see he has a fairly large part of the Farnell catalogue, at 400% markup.

So I guess he collects orders, gets them delivered next day, and posts them back out for a healthy profit. Nothing wrong with that, it’s how all business work. I’m just gutted I got caught out for a stupid typo - one digit out!

$1.78 including postage for the chip.
$0.35p for the chip, NOT including $15 delivery fee.

Unless you plan on ordering at least 100 of these, how exactly is cost effective?

cjdelphi:
$1.78 including postage for the chip.
$0.35p for the chip, NOT including $15 delivery fee.

Because you've quoted dollars, I'm guessing you're in the US. Which is why you're probably seeing a delivery fee from the UK!

As I'm in the UK, delivery is free. Hence the bit where it says "all UK orders delivered free".

So, in your case, clearly ordering from overseas wouldn't be good value :slight_smile:

lardconcepts:
for 28p including delivery

Wow!

Just wow!

Same part is 48 cents in the US from digikey, mouser.
$0.48 = 0.298 GBP = 29.8p?? = ~$0.51 AUD

So the actual price nothing spectacular, the free shipping is nice tho.

Its around $5 for home delivery from Digikey/Mouser in the US, I'd always buy some other stuff to spread the shipping cost out, or at least stock up on parts for the next project.