The ESP8266 Wifi Module

So few weeks ago I got the ESP8266 - ESP 01 Wifi module from Ebay , ever since then I have been looking on datasheets and video tutorials for how to connect the module in the right way or how to use the module with an Arduino UNO

So I have an Arduino Uno and I tried connecting the Module with wires (the module is not BreadBoard friendly – female to male wires) as far as I know the module only runs on 3.3v so that’s what I tried using
to connect power to the module …

So here are my problems :

If I connect the module using the 3.3v that is on the Arduino , the module won’t turn on (Red LED indicator for POWER) or it would turn on with dimmed LED (More like fading LED) so I decided to connect it
using a 3.3v Voltage regulator where connecting the power source for the regulator is from the 5Vpin on the Arduino but it still fades (The power LED on the Wifi Module)…

So eventually I decided to connect the module directly to 5V since I the dimming LED is caused by low current or low voltage … so the module turns on (The power LED) without fading at all and sometimes I see the blue LED blinking fast (I don’t know what the Blue LED is for …) and it prints lots of weird things on the serial monitor (EX. ready - Wifi Connected - the version number of the bootloader…)

So I still thought that there is something wrong with the power supply so i connected it to an external power supply with a voltage regulator the external power supply was 12v 500ma connected to a 3.3v regulator , after connecting the module the module turned on for a second and then started smoking !!

so i’m really confused on how i should connect the module !!

here are my connections to the module

GND – > Arduino GND
VCC – > 3.3v on arduino or 5v or external with regulator
RXD – > pin 0 on Aduino
TXD – > pin 1 on Arduino
ch_pd – > 3.3v on arduino or 5v or external with regulator
GPIO0 – > 3.3v on arduino or 5v or external with regulator
GPIO2 – > 3.3v on arduino or 5v or external with regulator
RST – > tried connecting to 3.3v on arduino or 5v or external with regulator or not connected at all (tried all)

this is one of the tutorials … https://diyhacking.com/esp8266-gpio/

and really this module no matter that it is cheap but it’s complicated to use !

Could someone please tell me how to connect this ??? and what did I do wrong ?!

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

mohammedioz:
this is one of the tutorials .... https://diyhacking.com/esp8266-gpio/

I don't understand why all these stupid tutorials tell people to use an Arduino as a USB-serial adapter. Much better just to buy a cheap FTDI FT232 breakout board for that purpose and use the Arduino for what it was intended.

Here's my advice: Since your ESP-01 is fried forget about the crappy ESP-01 and the crappy tutorial and buy a WeMos D1 Mini. It has 8X the flash memory, 5X the GPIO and the USB-serial circuitry and the voltage regulator are all built right in and with all that it's still pretty small, though it is larger than the ESP-01. You do need to solder the headers but once you do that it can plug right into a breadboard. A few months ago when I last bought them they were $2.60USD with free shipping. So a little more expensive than the ESP-01 but it's a small price to pay for the convenience. You just have to:

• Install the CH340 driver
  • Install the ESP8266 Arduino core
  • Plug the D1 Mini into the USB on your computer
  • Wait for the D1 Mini to install
  • Select the port of the D1 Mini from the Arduino IDE Tools > Port menu
  • Select Tools > Board > WeMos D1 Mini
  • Upload your sketch

pert:
I don't understand why all these stupid tutorials tell people to use an Arduino as a USB-serial adapter. Much better just to buy a cheap FTDI FT232 breakout board for that purpose and use the Arduino for what it was intended.

As my experience I would prefer use an Arduino than FTDI adapter because I can saw it's more reliable. Sorry, just my own experience and can't explain any more with my knowledge.

WeMos board is so convenience but probably it was rolled out after esp-01 for long time up to a year or more. ESP-01 is a pioneer and made a hot trend for iot projects. There are many great projects which are still using it. For me, ESP-01 is amazing board like UNO when I played with it first time.