the lm1117

I was looking at a 3.3v regulator to use with my esp8266 and i found the lm1117, after looking at some schematics i have some questions... do i need the 10uf capacitor? If i do can in use 10 1uf c ampacitors? What pins are used for what?(where do i connect the campacitor ) |500x227

Im posting a comment on this because it has disappeared from the forum since posing

brenden_nerd_: I was looking at a 3.3v regulator to use with my esp8266 and i found the lm1117, after looking at some

From the datasheet i found a 100uF electrolytic was specified.

That is a big and expensive value for a tantalum.

For linear voltage regs normally a max of 2 uF is sufficient.

They are necessary to prevent instability of the reg.

Why that particular regulator ?EDIT(its an old one).

If i use a 2 uf compacitor will it be less stable or simply non functional

brenden_nerd_: If i use a 2 uf compacitor will it be less stable or simply non functional

The datasheet for that regulator specifies either 100uF electrolytic or a 10 uF tantalum.

2 uF i have used according to spec on a DIFFERENT regulator.

Using a lower value for that regulator that the manufacturer specifies may cause you a problem.

I see, well is there different models of it … for some reason the ebay listing gives little to no information http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=161946709238&alt=web … i will do a bit of googling.

Or, GO with 47u Electrolytic as on the arduino boards.

Ok ill see if i can find these parts on say a old motherboard... will the voltage of the compacitor matter?

notice you're specifying a surface mount device, so I'm presuming you're going to design a PCB to mount it.

The big tab requires to be soldered onto on a significant area of copper to dissipate the heat.

If you're not using a PCB, such devices as a LM317 ( good old standby!) would be a much better bet. And do your sums for heat dissipation and suitable heatsinks.

reqards

Allan.

Read this post. http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=393028.0 Leo..