The next big thing in battery technology

This one's good for a chuckle:

Uhhhhh huh. 2000mAh or so in 30 seconds? Sure, sign me up. :roll_eyes: Now all I need is a USB port capable of providing 240A at 5v.

The batteries may be smaller but a cable to carry 240A will have to be about 3/4" in diameter (each core) and probably cost $100 a meter/yard.

Now that'd be worthy of the name Monster Cable 8)

SirNickity:

Quantum Dots Can Charge Your Smartphone In 30 Seconds | IFLScience

Uhhhhh huh. 2000mAh or so in 30 seconds? Sure, sign me up. :roll_eyes: Now all I need is a USB port capable of providing 240A at 5v.

1000mAh in 10 minutes would already be great ==> a small drive in your car -> 50% charged phone

What I would like is a phone battery that I can exchange with a full one without my phone resetting.
In practice that would mean a smaller battery and a big capacitor in myPhone.
And it would be even more great if these batteries were standardized (over all models) so I could buy them at every corner for $10 or for $1 when I return my empty one (so it can be recharged)

Their was a program on the tv the other day about battery's powered by sugar. They said they could be in mobile phones within 3 years or so. You just put some more sugary water in them when they run out. The price of cheep fizzy drinks suggests they will be very cheep to run.

EVP:
Their was a program on the tv the other day about battery's powered by sugar. They said they could be in mobile phones within 3 years or so. You just put some more sugary water in them when they run out. The price of cheep fizzy drinks suggests they will be very cheep to run.

But as soon as they become popular, the price of sugar will double.

robtillaart:

SirNickity:

1000mAh in 10 minutes would already be great ==> a small drive in your car -> 50% charged phone

What I would like is a phone battery that I can exchange with a full one without my phone resetting.
And it would be even more great if these batteries were standardized (over all models) so I could buy them at every corner for $10 or for $1 when I return my empty one (so it can be recharged)

I used to have a phone like that. The alcatel one touch easy worked on standard AA batteries and you could use rechargeable batteries. Indeed it was easy to "recharge quickly". I mean a set of recharged batteries at hand was enough. If that was not available the local (night) shop could help you out. I'd go for this solution right away.
However it did reset when changing the batteries.

Best regards

I'm quite OK with the seamless (and bulky compartment-less) design of new phones, but you have to subscribe to the portable charger paradigm. Get a medium-capacity LiPo battery pack that can charge via USB, and keep that in your car / desk / purse / cargo pants. When you're not actively using the phone, plug in your charger cable and keep on truckin. :slight_smile:

I heard that this works as a capacitor charging up in 30 seconds and then the capacitor charges the actual battery. What’s more interesting was one of the videos that showed up after I played this one, a guy replaced his car battery with super caps. “Boostcap”.

Amp-hours is amp-hours, regardless how you store it.

I guess you could, in theory, charge the "boost cap" at like 200V with suitably lower amperage, and then locally regulate that down to a few amps at nominal voltage for charging. But good luck getting that approved for consumer use in any regulated country.

SirNickity:
Amp-hours is amp-hours, regardless how you store it.

I guess you could, in theory, charge the "boost cap" at like 200V with suitably lower amperage, and then locally regulate that down to a few amps at nominal voltage for charging. But good luck getting that approved for consumer use in any regulated country.

I fully agree on this one.
But if you can regulate that down for charging why would you? I mean why not simply run from the 200V boost cap and drop the battery?

Best regards
Jantje

robtillaart:

SirNickity:

You might be on to something with that post, what about a smaller toy helicopter sized lithium battery concealed away to allow a battery swap without it resetting? Sounds easy enough?

As for the battery charging, that's some heavy current shifting...

I'm not familiar with toy helicopters as a measurement system. What is that in metric?