The Possiblity of a Load Cell Sensor that Activates a Heat Source

Hi all, I am a bit new to this and have been thinking of a project for a school science fair. I am going to need to use load cells to set off (at a certain weight) a heat source. My main question is:

What should I use as a heater? Its purpose would be to melt snow while the heater unit itself is contained under a roof. Also I am assuming the both of these can be carried out with an Arduino, but I could be wrong on that as well, if someone can correct me.

Once again, sorry as I am new, but thanks for any help!

it IS possible. The loadcell can (via an amplifier) be read by the microcontroller. Its also easy to turn a SSR on/off from the uC. Heater element ?? If the roof is indulated for winter conditions, you need ouside heater: electrical heater-cable or hotwater tubing.

I'm looking for a way to heat from the inside, if possible that would be the first route. I know it would require both more heat and time to do this compared to an external solution, but I think it may be possible... I do appreciate any advice however.

If not, I can look into an external solution. Can you tell me more about the heating options? Maybe some links or personal detail on how I can go and create a heating device that can be controlled by the uC, whether electrical or hot water? (And how to choose whether I would like to do one or the other)

Thanks for the reply!

Hi, to get what you want to do. You want to use a loadcell to weigh a roof, when it gets loaded with snow the controller will turn on a heater in or under the roof to melt the snow. The problem being in your part of the world were snow loading can do a lot of damage, it would be an acceptable solution. Probably even fit an alarm to warn people not to got under the eves of the roof as they might get giant snowballed as the snow slides off in a big layer.

Tom...... :)

TomGeorge: Probably even fit an alarm to warn people not to got under the eves of the roof as they might get giant snowballed as the snow slides off in a big layer.

Haha, that's interesting, but I'm only going to be doing a simple small scale of the load cell/heater, for time's sake. But that is interesting.

However, can anybody give sources on what kind of heating I should use, and how the uC can control it? I have difficulty finding other projects dealing with a diy heater and an Arduino.