The stuff I'm about to buy for my first project...

Hi,
I’d like to do my first project with the Arduino Uno R3 as soon as possible. Now, I’m looking for what to order, so that it fits the project I’d like to do.
I’d like to make a driving robot, that is controlled by a normal tv remote controll (so IR).

- What I have lying at home from some electrical sets for kids:
** - Potentiometers**
** - Resistors (220k,1k,…)**
** - capacitors**

- What I would by:
- Motors + motor shield:
I really don’t know what is important about my motors. I think I should go for 6V, to juice it with 4*1,5Vbatteries?
So I was thinking about these 2 DC motors: LINK.
Or should I buy one of these servo’s and hac them to let them go 360°: LINK?

I also will by a little 180° servo: LINK to do some controllable motor moves with a potentiometer.

This is the motor shield I would buy: LINK.

- Supersonic sensor:
Mybe I would implement a supersonic sound sensor in my robot: LINK to do something like this structure: if {distance<x motor has to go 1m backwards} else{case (IRnumber): Forward case (IRnumber): backwards,…}

- Breadboard + jumper cables
- LED’s
- IR-receivers: LINK

Do you guys think that would be a nice set to start with, or do you think some stuff is missing in this list? And what motors would you pick, or do you use to drive your robot?

Thank you so much!

You'll want to look at the voltage drop through whatever chip your chosen motor shield uses. From memory, the L298 for example, loses 2V minimum and up to ~4 at high currents. You need to factor in the losses.... 6V in doesn't give you 6V at the motor. (Or use chips that don't suffer from such drastic waste.)

perhaps you have an old cd-/dvd-player?!?
there you can find a few motors, if you look inside!
(they cost nothing except a few minutes of work!) :wink:

The DC motors only pull 10ma of current -- very little. They've very small motors. Even if they were good motors I'd still recommend RC servos modified to continuous rotation because they're much easier to use and no motor shield needed with servos.

Perhaps that first project should be just making a TV remote reader before you spend any more.

jn-wp:
perhaps you have an old cd-/dvd-player?!?
there you can find a few motors, if you look inside!
(they cost nothing except a few minutes of work!) :wink:

Thanks! I broke one open, and I already got the motor to open/shut out. Now I'm trying to get access to the one that makes the cd spin. I'll see what I can do with these :slight_smile:

Chagrin:
The DC motors only pull 10ma of current -- very little. They've very small motors. Even if they were good motors I'd still recommend RC servos modified to continuous rotation because they're much easier to use and no motor shield needed with servos.

Ok thanks, I'll buy the 2 servo's and not the normal DC ones. I'll wait to hack them until i got tired of the controlled movements. I'm also unscrewing everything of my RC-car, to see what motors that are in there. Hopefully some servo's :slight_smile:

GoForSmoke:
Perhaps that first project should be just making a TV remote reader before you spend any more.

Idk, I'll buy the servo's too because I want to be able to do something when the decoding is ready. We'll see how it ends eventually :wink: Mybe you will be right, mybe not...

Well, tbh, if there's shipping charges or a very long delivery time then get your parts in one go. But then you will be tied, "married" to the project before you find out how hard or not any step will be to you, in which case I wish you the best of luck and hope that your background serves you well. :slight_smile:

I find that on eBay and DealExtreme there are many things that don't have a shipping charge, do come at lower prices but often 3-4 weeks to get where I am in the eastern US. If I was west coast it would be 2-3 weeks.

I haven't had the greatest luck with IRDA readers though I did find that what it takes to burn one out is less than it takes to burn an UNO pin! I did something entirely stupid that day, swapped 2 wires I should not have. Got no smoke but the smell was like a burned out led.