The tool is already present

I keep getting a message saying "The tool is already present on the system" when trying to upload a sketch. Any ideas?

No.
Why don't you post some details?

Please do this:

• File > Preferences > Show verbose output during: > compilation (uncheck) > upload (check) > OK
  • Sketch > Upload
  • After the process fails you’ll see a button on the right side of the orange bar “Copy error messages”. Click that button.
  • Paste the error messages in a reply here USING CODE TAGS (</> button on the toolbar).

I am getting this problem too. I just plugged my board in as usual (Arduino Uno Wifi board but I upload by plugging in by USB) but I cannot upload any sketches. I’m using the web editor, not the desktop version. I am able to verify sketches fine - after verifying, a green bar appears which says “Success: Done verifying sketch”. But if I try to upload a sketch it doesn’t even get to the point when it verifies the sketch… it just brings up a red bar above the log section at the bottom of the website. In the red bar, it says “The tool is already present on the system.” No other information is given. Google search doesn’t bring up anything. Anyone else getting this? Any solution?

Is that with verbose output turned on? I think it's only one setting in the Arduino Web Editor, they don't break it down into compilation and upload options.

@brianbailey, are you also using the Arduino Web Editor? If so, it would probably be best to request that this thread be moved to that forum section. Sometimes there are newly introduced issues with the web editor since it is continuously being developed and some of the developers watch that forum section and are very responsive.

The wed editor does have verbose output. E.g. it says how many bytes are used by the sketch and variables.

andygroove:
The wed editor does have verbose output. E.g. it says how many bytes are used by the sketch and variables.

That information is shown whether you have verbose output on or off. I'm talking about this:

• Click the "Preferences" button on the left side of the screen.
  • Check the box to the left side of "Console: Show verbose output"

Hey, thanks for your help.

I’ve turned on verbose output. In the black information box there is no information written but there is a little white “copy to clipboard” icon (this is there regardless of whether the verbose output setting is turned on).

When I click the icon, a notification pops up saying “Verbose output copied to clipboard” but nothing actually gets copied to clipboard - whatever was on the clipboard prior is still there. If the verbose output setting is turned off, exactly the same happens. There is no text in the output window to copy.

If I just verify the BareMinimum sketch rather than try to verify+upload it, then the website works fine and verifies as it has in the past. I’ve copied that text below into the attached txt file in case it is useful. It seems like the upload sketch button is just not being allowed to work… as if the editor detects a problem (“The tool is already present on the system”) and stops everything.

BareMinimum verify output.txt (13.4 KB)

Lacking a response from brianbailey regarding my question, I have not requested that this be moved to the Create > Editor forum section but since this was originally posted a thread has been created there on the same topic:

Unfortunately no helpful response yet but I would advise you to watch that thread as the most likely place to find an official answer

I’m getting the same issue when using Arduino Web Editor - when I click on the Upload icon I see a message “The tool is present on the system”. I turned on Show Verbose Output in Preferences yet there is nothing in web editor.
However, in debug console I spotted this:

downloadtool avrdude 6.3.0-arduino9 arduino keep
time="2017-09-16T09:40:07+01:00" level=info msg="[{COM3     0x0001 0x2341 64932343638351F05202 false}]" 

time="2017-09-16T09:40:07+01:00" level=info msg="<nil>" 

{"DownloadStatus":"Pending","Msg":"The tool is already present on the system"}
{"DownloadStatus":"Success","Msg":"Map Updated"}

Im getting this same Red bar when I go to Upload to my Arduino Nano.

My code verifies ok, but it's when i go to upload.

any help please??? Im trying to use the web editor to be a bit more portable but keep hitting road blocks!!

Here is another user having the same issue. I think it has started a few days ago after the recent Windows 10 update. It has been working fine before that.

I am getting the same issue. Was working fine about 5 days ago. I have a knock off arduino and a legit Uno and neither work.

Same here to.

Add another to the list, Same problem this morning :frowning:

Same issue.

Just so you all know, there's the option of using the standard IDE, which you can download for free here:

It's kind of nice to be able to run a specific, known-working version and not have to worry about it suddenly being broken by development work.

Arduino : 1.8.3 (Windows 7), Carte : "Arduino/Genuino Uno"

Le croquis utilise 2076 octets (6%) de l'espace de stockage de programmes. Le maximum est de 32256 octets.
Les variables globales utilisent 35 octets (1%) de mémoire dynamique, ce qui laisse 2013 octets pour les variables locales. Le maximum est de 2048 octets.
D:\Sandra-fichiers\Nicolas\fichiers Nicolas\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avrdude -CD:\Sandra-fichiers\Nicolas\fichiers Nicolas\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -carduino -PCOM1 -b115200 -D -Uflash:w:C:\Users\sandra\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_448055/sketch_sep16a.ino.hex:i

avrdude: Version 6.3, compiled on Jan 17 2017 at 12:00:53
Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "D:\Sandra-fichiers\Nicolas\fichiers Nicolas\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port : COM1
Using Programmer : arduino
Overriding Baud Rate : 115200
avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\.\COM1": Le fichier spécifié est introuvable.

avrdude done. Thank you.

Problème de téléversement vers la carte. Voir Arduino Help Center pour suggestions.

Ce rapport pourrait être plus détaillé avec
l'option "Afficher les résultats détaillés de la compilation"
activée dans Fichier -> Préférences.

Nicolasdu92:
Arduino : 1.8.3 (Windows 7), Carte : "Arduino/Genuino Uno"

Le croquis utilise 2076 octets (6%) de l'espace de stockage de programmes. Le maximum est de 32256 octets.
Les variables globales utilisent 35 octets (1%) de mémoire dynamique, ce qui laisse 2013 octets pour les variables locales. Le maximum est de 2048 octets.
D:\Sandra-fichiers\Nicolas\fichiers Nicolas\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avrdude -CD:\Sandra-fichiers\Nicolas\fichiers Nicolas\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -carduino -PCOM1 -b115200 -D -Uflash:w:C:\Users\sandra\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_448055/sketch_sep16a.ino.hex:i

avrdude: Version 6.3, compiled on Jan 17 2017 at 12:00:53
Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "D:\Sandra-fichiers\Nicolas\fichiers Nicolas\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port : COM1
Using Programmer : arduino
Overriding Baud Rate : 115200
avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\.\COM1": Le fichier spécifié est introuvable.

avrdude done. Thank you.

Problème de téléversement vers la carte. Voir Arduino Help Center pour suggestions.

Ce rapport pourrait être plus détaillé avec
l'option "Afficher les résultats détaillés de la compilation"
activée dans Fichier -> Préférences.

That's a completely different problem. This thread is only to be used for discussing the "The tool is already present" error when uploading using the Arduino Web Editor.

Select the port of your Arduino from the Tools > Port menu. If that menu is grayed out or the port of your Arduino board is not shown then one of the following may be the cause:

• You may need to install the driver for the USB-serial chip on your Arduino. Determine which chip is used on your Arduino and install the driver.
  • You may be using a charge-only or defective USB cable. Test your cable on another device to confirm that it works for data.
  • Using a USB 3.0 port on your computer may cause problems. Try a USB 2.0 port.

Ok - I was getting this error on the web editor, and with the standard IDE I was getting a COM not found error.

I downloaded the mac version of this (VCP Drivers - FTDI) and it enabled a new serial port for the IDE and I was able to use it.

I still want to get the web editor working because I work off of a few machines and that keeps it simple. It works with no issues on a macbook pro, but not on an old macbook air that was given to me.