The Ultimate Altimeter - A super-compact, DIY altimeter for RC planes and more

Hey guys! I just made this Arduino powered Altimiter for RC planes, quadcopters, rockets, and other flying devices. Check it out!

http://tinyurl.com/UAInstructable

Neat!
Have you tried driving around with it to see how accurate it is?

CrossRoads:
Have you tried driving around with it to see how accurate it is?

Since the altitude is measured by air pressure, the absolute height can sometimes be a little off (it would be a tad different depending on weather), but the relative height (diFF) mode should be accurate. I haven't tried doing super-accurate comparison tests yet, but around my area it measures around 900 feet, which is correct, and I went to Boston and it measured around sea level, which also seems right. It is a pretty good quality sensor, so I expect that it is accurate. :slight_smile:

Is there a way to enter barometric pressure to correct for air pressure differences?
Standard atmospheric pressure & temperature is 29.92 & 59F, any variation from that affects the air-pressure alone altitude.

Not that I know of, but the effect of weather on the altitude shouldn’t throw it off that much. Here are some things I found:

(From a datasheet I think)

(From the Sparkfun page for the sensor)

Hope this helps!

You get altitude from a GPS module also :slight_smile:

Why did you use a LED display?
They draw loads of power compared to an LCD like the Nokia display.

Nice project anyways :slight_smile:

janost:
Why did you use a LED display?
They draw loads of power compared to an LCD like the Nokia display.

The biggest constraints were space and weight. The seven segment Bubble Display was super tiny and feather light, and that's what I was looking for. Also all we needed were 4 digits, not a 48x84 pixel screen.

Thanks!