The Yun shield is out!

Yun Shield.png

Why would they want to release a Wifi Shield when Yun shield offers more and I bet they're gona be similar prices.

I'm a bit disappointed that it doesn't have the Yun's SD card socket, a rather important feature in my mind. It would've been a good way to distinguish it from the Dragino offering.

You can put exernal storage on its usb 2.0, better than nothing.

The Yun has a 2.0? I never knew that. That is a reason to get it-my laptop has all 1.1 :smiley:

Isaac96:
The Yun has a 2.0? I never knew that. That is a reason to get it-my laptop has all 1.1 :smiley:

Actually AR9331 does.

In a single chip, the AR9331 includes a MIPS 24K processor, five-port IEEE 802.3 Fast Ethernet Switch with MAC/PHY, one USB 2.0 MAC/PHY...

http://www.black-swift.com/files/AR9331.pdf

Micro SD v.s USB flash driver:

• Cost effective, USB drive is cheaper
  • USB drive is faster
  • USB drive support big size (>32 GB)
  • The IC AU6350 (card reader) from Alcor Micro has over heat problem

sonnyyu:
Micro SD v.s USB flash driver:

On the other hand:

• uSD is smaller
  • uSD is less likely to come loose in vibration/shock environment
  • uSD doesn't use up the only USB host port: with USB flash an external hub is needed to use another device.

On a different front, does anyone know yet whether the shield addresses the low USB voltage issue that plagues the Yun?

ShapeShifter:
On the other hand:

• uSD is smaller
  • uSD is less likely to come loose in vibration/shock environment
  • uSD doesn't use up the only USB host port: with USB flash an external hub is needed to use another device.

On a different front, does anyone know yet whether the shield addresses the low USB voltage issue that plagues the Yun?

Im not aware of that issue about the low voltage level, what is it about? Im interested I own a Yun.

mart256:
Im not aware of that issue about the low voltage level, what is it about? Im interested I own a Yun.

The USB host port only puts out about 4.5 volts. Some devices have problems at that voltage and need a powered hub to give them 5 volts.

The text states "all arduino's" will that be inclusive the due? I ask as I'm interested in putting a shield on a due and the dragino does not support it because you can not upload a sketch to a due using the ISP header.
Best regards
Jantje

Jantje:
The text states "all arduino's" will that be inclusive the due? I ask as I'm interested in putting a shield on a due and the dragino does not support it because you can not upload a sketch to a due using the ISP header.
Best regards
Jantje

Jantje:
Best regards
Jantje

Why would you want Yun + Due? Yun has already lots of proccesing power, and if you need more IO there's the Mega. Maybe because of the DAC? I bet there are some DAC with USB.

mart256:
Why would you want Yun + Due? Yun has already lots of proccesing power, and if you need more IO there's the Mega. Maybe because of the DAC? I bet there are some DAC with USB.

I want the due because it can have interrupts on all its pins. I use RC and the interrupt pins on the mega are limiting my possibilities.
I also expect it to have higher pwm frequencies (good for driving dc motors)
The due is in the same price range as the mega.
But the first one is the most important for me.
Jantje

Jantje:
The text states “all arduino’s” will that be inclusive the due? I ask as I’m interested in putting a shield on a due and the dragino does not support it because you can not upload a sketch to a due using the ISP header.
Best regards
Jantje

Yes, it is also compatible with the Arduino Due.

Angelo9999:
Yes, it is also compatible with the Arduino Due.

Cool. have you got references? Technical details on the how and the consequences?
Best regards
Jantje

Jantje:
Cool. have you got references? Technical details on the how and the consequences?

I don't have any technical references, just making similar assumptions as you are based on the physical arrangement and pinouts. I would say there are a few levels of compatibility:

• Physical compatibility: works with boards that have the same basic shield connector positions
  • Voltage compatibility: works with boards that have compatible voltages
  • Communications compatibility: works with boards that have serial comm on pins 0 and 1
  • Network sketch loading compatibility: works with boards that can load sketches via the six pin ICSP connector, and which have an appropriate avrdude profile programmed on the Linux board

For the Due, I would suspect it enjoys the first three types of compatibility, but not type #4, which is the one you are questioning. So it comes done to the definition of compatible: to be called compatible, does it have to meet all types, or is it compatible if it just meets several? I can make an argument for either definition.

@shapeshifter
I completely agree with you.
Best regards
Jantje

So the Yun shield can switch to 3.3V? That is a useful function and should make it usable with the STM32 Nucleo boards.

ShapeShifter:

• Network sketch loading compatibility: works with boards that can load sketches via the six pin ICSP connector, and which have an appropriate avrdude profile programmed on the Linux board

For the Due, I would suspect it enjoys the first three types of compatibility, but not type #4, which is the one you are questioning. So it comes done to the definition of compatible: to be called compatible, does it have to meet all types, or is it compatible if it just meets several? I can make an argument for either definition.

The Yun shield can upload sketches on Due via network. It uses bossac instead of avrdude.