Themepark row length meter/sort of a people counter

Hello,

I’m doing a school project for a theme park in our mobile marketing class,
we are to develop a workable outline for a functional app and we thought it’d be cool to be able to see an approximation of how long the waiting lines across the park are. I am now trying to figure out if this would be possible with arduino.

I drew up the a base schematic of one unit for one queue/waiting line (attachment)
as microcontroller programming is not strictly part of my class this thing would be a proof of concept for use during a presentation mostly, so no datalogging, graphing and wi-fi functionalities are needed. it would basically be an arduino uno with three IR or other sensors, and an RGB led which goes from green to red as the queue gets longer.
i would build a little model replica of a queue and move fingers in front of the sensors to simulate people queueing :grin:

it would basically listen to a number of IR sensors ( i’m figuring 3 for presentation purposes)

• there is a line in front of the sensor, beam would be broken (0) most(±80-90%) of the time.
  • there is no line, people would pass, but not halt there, so the beam would be broken for only a portion of the time
    the unit would compare this frequency of HIGH vs LOW,
  • return a red light if all sensors register a queue,
  • another color if the queue gets only three sensors far
  • or a green light if only the sensor closest to the coaster registers a decent amount of beam break.
    and thus give an idea of the length of the queue in this attraction

now i’m wondering how to tackle this, i saw many arduino counters, but i don’t need a count of people passing,
just need to know if they are moving or waiting.

basic questions:

• is this possible?
  • can arduino listen for these breaks on all sensors simultaneously or will it read sensor 1,2,3 sequentially?
  • if sequentially, would it be able to read through all the sensors fast enough?
    4 times a second should be more than enough, slower might mess up the readings and allow people t slip through unnoticed

Hello,

I'm doing a school project for a theme park in our mobile marketing class, we are to develop a workable outline for a functional app and we thought it'd be cool to be able to see an approximation of how long the waiting lines across the park are. I am now trying to figure out if this would be possible with arduino.

Nice project, the design (picture) is definitely possible.

now i'm wondering how to tackle this, i saw many arduino counters, but i don't need a count of people passing, just need to know if they are moving or waiting.

I would put weight sensors in the path and scan them once er second. Than you can count and position the people quite exact. If the people are moving the "on/off" pattern of the sensors will change. You can remember the pattern in an array.