Things About This Forum That Drive Me Crazy....

[RANT] There are several "features" of this forum that drive me completely nuts, every single day:

1) Copy and Paste of a portion of a post into a new message pastes @#$%^&*( COLOR tags onto EVERY STINKING LINE!! WHY??? This is NEVER the desired behavior, as those tags are IGNORED by the forum, so serve no useful purpose whatsoever.

2) Once a day, I get logged out. When I go to the login screen, my password manager (LastPass) will, randomly, either fill in the username and password, or not. Sometimes I have to re-fresh the page several times before they are filled in. Of the dozens of websites I use on a daily basis, this is the ONLY one where this problem has ever occurred, and it has been this way for more than a year. There is clearly something weird about the way your login page works, because I've had ZERO problem with LastPass on any other forum.

3) When creating or editing posts, the editor is constantly getting into bizarre modes. The most common is one where hitting return inserts TWO blank lines, instead of just one. This seems to happen randomly, but I've lost count of how many times I've had to toss a whole post and start over, because there seems to be no way to restore sanity.

[/RANT]

Regards, Ray L.

This copy and paste did not

1) Copy and Paste of a portion of a post into a new message pastes @#$%^&*( COLOR tags onto EVERY STINKING LINE!! WHY??? T

I have never seen that behaviour. I am using Opera on Linux now but I used Firefox for a long time.

I am never logged out (of course I probably will be after this). I wonder if you getting logged out is caused by your cookie settings - maybe they get deleted after a time?

I can't recall any confusion with the editor except when my internet connection fails or the Forum software is slow.

...R

I have not sorted out exactly HOW to make it happen. It seems to me it occurs most often when I copy/paste from a few lines from within code tags. While I'm editing my reply, all looks fine. It's only when I click "Post" that it comes up with the color tags.

Just for fun, here is something in code tags:

This test is in code tags.

I will save this post, then reply to it, copying and pasting the above line, and see if I can make it happen here...

Regards, Ray L.

Now I copy the test in the code tags above, and paste it here, within new code tags:

[color=#222222][/color]
This test is in code tags.[color=#222222][/color]

As I create this post, all looks normal, EXCEPT the pasted text in the above code block has a white background. It is otherwise correct.

Now, I'll save this post.

Regards, Ray L.

And you now see the color tags embedded in the pasted text above.

I can overcome this by using Chrome's "paste as plain text", but that really should not be necessary. And when I forget to do that (which happens most of the time...) it is a real PITA to clean up the mess when there is more than a line or two of pasted text.

Regards, Ray L.

This is what I got when I copied and pasted from your Reply #3

This test is in code tags

I always use the editor in "view source" mode - the right-most button. I have this mode set in my Forum settings

...R

The log out behaviour is bizarre: On my Mac, I get logged out pretty much every day. On my iPad, I get logged out sometimes; it appears to be random, I’m currently on a streak of no logouts for a week or more.

The actual password page is annoying too, The fields appear to be just standard text fields, which means that the iPad sets the keyboard to caps for the first letter.

Robin2: This is what I got when I copied and pasted from your Reply #3

This test is in code tags

I always use the editor in "view source" mode - the right-most button. I have this mode set in my Forum settings

...R

But you did not cut the text FROM code tags, then paste the text TO code tags.

I will try that here, with "View Source enabled...

This test is in code tags.

Regards, Ray L.

OK, with ViewSource enabled, it seems to work correctly. That is a bug. It should work the same either way.

Regards, Ray L.

I had found (long ago) that using the LINK button did not work properly unless I used the view source mode. I have not checked if that has been fixed as I always use the view-source mode now.

But you did not cut the text FROM code tags, then paste the text TO code tags.

I had tried that but forgot to say so. Apologies.

...R

How about having to make a post in order to find your profile ID number, in order to find your previous posts?

ncflagg: How about having to make a post in order to find your profile ID number, in order to find your previous posts?

I don't understand - I did not know I have a profile ID number.

You can get to your list of posts by clicking Profile in your avatar at the top right of the screen. Then click edit Forum Settings.

...R

Ok, thanks! "Edit Settings" to see Activity is unintuitive.

ncflagg: "Edit Settings" to see Activity is unintuitive.

Agree 100%

...R