think my new mega 2560 is dead? ...need quick conformation

my new mega 2560 arrive yesterday, followed the ‘getting started’ guide …plugged it in via usb lead, but I don’t see the green power led

check the pic…I have tried uploading a basic sketch, tx rx leds flash for a sec or two then leds go back to how they look in the pic

is the board malfunctioning?
is there anything I can try?

thanks.

tuk-: my new mega 2560 arrive yesterday, followed the 'getting started' guide ...plugged it in via usb lead, but I don't see the green power led

check the pic...I have tried uploading a basic sketch, tx rx leds flash for a sec or two then leds go back to how they look in the pic

is the board malfunctioning? is there anything I can try?

thanks.

"then leds go back to how they look in the pic"

I think that is pretty normal. Most boards ship with the blink program sketch loaded so the they blink the pin 13 led at a one second rate and the steady on led is the power led.

So, does your PC acknowledge your board when you plug it into the usb connector with a gong sound? Did you install the correct USB software driver when you first plugged in the board? Are you selecting the correct board type in the IDE before loading a sketch and trying to upload it. Did you select the correct comm port in the arduino IDE before uploading.

I think all indications are that the board is OK, just something wrong with your PC IDE software installation or correct operation of the arduino IDE software.

Lefty

retrolefty: I think that is pretty normal. Most boards ship with the blink program sketch loaded so the they blink the pin 13 led at a one second rate and the steady on led is the power led.

ahh thanks lefty, from looking at the guide I was expecting a green led...& wrongly assuming blinking red meant something was wrong...only tried uploading the blink sketch...and when nothing changed :D It seemed to confirm my fears

all seems well now..thanks again