Thinnest 5" LCD + driver?

Okay, something I've always wanted as a desktop programmer is a remote device with a display that essentially would be sent a bitmap, which would be displayed on-screen, and would relay any touches back to the desktop computer. In essence, it is a dumb display device and input device. I want to keep this device as thin as possible, so I am looking around for a 5" LCD TFT display that is as thin as possible. To keep it thin, the display would probably need a flat flex ribbon running to the driver board both for the LCD data, and the touchscreen.

I am thinking if I can find something like this, I can have the 5" LCD and a similar sized lipo battery stacked on top of each other, netting an average thickness of 1/4" or so, then have the driver board, bluetooth (HC05?) module, and the step-up boost board all on the "right" side of the LCD (in landscape mode), netting something that's about 6" wide by ~4.5" tall. If this works out well, I may even be able to squeeze in a couple of solar cells on the back so it'll trickle charge if you lay it upside down. This all assumes I can get someone to 3D print out a custom enclosure, heh.

So, all that being said, does anyone know of an extremely thin TFT with an accompanying driver module that can be separated by flat ribbon cable?

Hello,

Using a cheap smartphone isn't an option?

Nope. Don't have the time to learn java to make the program... And even if I did, there is no way to ensure the app is never "broken out of" eg to the phone's menu. Besides, where is the fun in that? I bought an Arduino for a reason and it wasn't to go the "easy" way :)

Aside from that, there are no "cheap" 5 inch smartphones.

Finally, I don't know why you think I'd want a completely non-arduino solution. The last time I checked, this is an arduino forum. I bought the arduino so I could have fun making mistakes, learning, and being ingenuitive. Buying a cell phone goes against the entire spirit of getting into arduino in the first place.

Anyone else have input on this, by chance?