This is just CRAZY

Hi,

I just upgraded to 1.6.1 and recompiled a known working sketch and now I am getting a large number of errors when I compile. I downgraded back to 1.6.0 but the behavior persists. I haven’t changed anything in the libraries, just upgraded to 1.6.1. Sketch is attached and below are the error messages and if a very kind person can help me figure this out I would be most grateful. Thanks

d

Arduino: 1.6.0 (Mac OS X), Board: "Arduino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)"

Build options changed, rebuilding all
/Users/Roontoon/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Ethernet/src/Ethernet.cpp: In member function 'int EthernetClass::begin(uint8_t*)':
/Users/Roontoon/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Ethernet/src/Ethernet.cpp:19:7: error: 'class SPIClass' has no member named 'beginTransaction'
   SPI.beginTransaction(SPI_ETHERNET_SETTINGS);
       ^
In file included from /Users/Roontoon/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Ethernet/src/Ethernet.cpp:1:0:
/Users/Roontoon/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Ethernet/src/utility/w5100.h:18:71: error: 'SPISettings' was not declared in this scope
 #define SPI_ETHERNET_SETTINGS SPISettings(4000000, MSBFIRST, SPI_MODE0)
                                                                       ^
/Users/Roontoon/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Ethernet/src/Ethernet.cpp:19:24: note: in expansion of macro 'SPI_ETHERNET_SETTINGS'
                        ^
/Users/Roontoon/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Ethernet/src/Ethernet.cpp:22:7: error: 'class SPIClass' has no member named 'endTransaction'
   SPI.endTransaction();
       ^
/Users/Roontoon/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Ethernet/src/Ethernet.cpp:30:9: error: 'class SPIClass' has no member named 'beginTransaction'
         ^
/Users/Roontoon/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Ethernet/src/Ethernet.cpp:34:9: error: 'class SPIClass' has no member named 'endTransaction'
     SPI.endTransaction();
         ^
/Users/Roontoon/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Ethernet/src/Ethernet.cpp: In member function 'void EthernetClass::begin(uint8_t*, IPAddress, IPAddress, IPAddress, IPAddress)':
/Users/Roontoon/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Ethernet/src/Ethernet.cpp:68:7: error: 'class SPIClass' has no member named 'beginTransaction'
       ^
In file included from /Users/Roontoon/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Ethernet/src/Ethernet.cpp:1:0:
/Users/Roontoon/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Ethernet/src/utility/w5100.h:18:71: error: 'SPISettings' was not declared in this scope
                                                                       ^
/Users/Roontoon/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Ethernet/src/Ethernet.cpp:68:24: note: in expansion of macro 'SPI_ETHERNET_SETTINGS'
                        ^
/Users/Roontoon/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Ethernet/src/Ethernet.cpp:73:7: error: 'class SPIClass' has no member named 'endTransaction'
   SPI.endTransaction();
       ^
/Users/Roontoon/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Ethernet/src/Ethernet.cpp: In member function 'int EthernetClass::maintain()':
/Users/Roontoon/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Ethernet/src/Ethernet.cpp:89:13: error: 'class SPIClass' has no member named 'beginTransaction'
             ^
                                                                       ^
/Users/Roontoon/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Ethernet/src/Ethernet.cpp:89:30: note: in expansion of macro 'SPI_ETHERNET_SETTINGS'
                              ^
/Users/Roontoon/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Ethernet/src/Ethernet.cpp:93:13: error: 'class SPIClass' has no member named 'endTransaction'
         SPI.endTransaction();
             ^
/Users/Roontoon/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Ethernet/src/Ethernet.cpp: In member function 'IPAddress EthernetClass::localIP()':
/Users/Roontoon/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Ethernet/src/Ethernet.cpp:107:7: error: 'class SPIClass' has no member named 'beginTransaction'
       ^
                                                                       ^
/Users/Roontoon/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Ethernet/src/Ethernet.cpp:107:24: note: in expansion of macro 'SPI_ETHERNET_SETTINGS'
                        ^
/Users/Roontoon/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Ethernet/src/Ethernet.cpp:109:7: error: 'class SPIClass' has no member named 'endTransaction'
   SPI.endTransaction();
       ^
/Users/Roontoon/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Ethernet/src/Ethernet.cpp: In member function 'IPAddress EthernetClass::subnetMask()':
/Users/Roontoon/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Ethernet/src/Ethernet.cpp:116:7: error: 'class SPIClass' has no member named 'beginTransaction'
       ^
                                                                       ^
/Users/Roontoon/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Ethernet/src/Ethernet.cpp:116:24: note: in expansion of macro 'SPI_ETHERNET_SETTINGS'
                        ^
/Users/Roontoon/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Ethernet/src/Ethernet.cpp:118:7: error: 'class SPIClass' has no member named 'endTransaction'
   SPI.endTransaction();
       ^
/Users/Roontoon/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Ethernet/src/Ethernet.cpp: In member function 'IPAddress EthernetClass::gatewayIP()':
/Users/Roontoon/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Ethernet/src/Ethernet.cpp:125:7: error: 'class SPIClass' has no member named 'beginTransaction'
       ^
                                                                       ^
/Users/Roontoon/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Ethernet/src/Ethernet.cpp:125:24: note: in expansion of macro 'SPI_ETHERNET_SETTINGS'
                        ^
/Users/Roontoon/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Ethernet/src/Ethernet.cpp:127:7: error: 'class SPIClass' has no member named 'endTransaction'
   SPI.endTransaction();
       ^
Error compiling.

This report would have more information with
  "Show verbose output during compilation"
  enabled in File > Preferences.

WiFi_Test_3.2.ino (16.9 KB)

The library in your documents folder is one that you installed. But the Ethernet library is a standard library that is already included with the Arduino IDE.

Go to /Users/Roontoon/Documents/Arduino/ and check the "libraries" folder. Remove things that you don't need.

I guess I don't understand. The ethernet library is in the library folder and has been the entire time both before I started having this issue and after.

d

roontoon Ethernet library is already included into the Arduino IDE. Please backup and remove the version you have in your sketchbook "libraries" folder and retry

Thanks for the reply… Still having problems. Will I have to remove additional libraries? Attached above is/was a working copy of my sketch. Also where are the setup docs for OS X for 1.6.x and does these even cover this. Or is there a list of libraries that should not be in the Arduino/libraries folder? I am assuming at this point that the libraries folder is for custom or special use libraries not covered in the standard install. Below is the includes that i have on the above script. Thanks again for your help.

d

#include “Adafruit_CC3000.h”
#include “SPI.h”
#include “utility/debug.h”
#include “utility/sntp.h”
#include “Ethernet.h”
#include “Timer.h”
#include “avr/wdt.h”

I think only “Adafruit_CC3000.h” and “Timer.h” are not standard.
For the others, use the ‘<’ and the ‘>’, like this: #include <SPI.h>

Thanks but no go… I only have the Adafruit and timer library and I am getting the following error asking for the SPI library.

Arduino: 1.6.0 (Mac OS X), Board: "Arduino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)"

In file included from /Users/Roontoon/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Adafruit_CC3000/Adafruit_CC3000.h:31:0,
                 from WiFiTest3.2.ino:12:
/Users/Roontoon/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Adafruit_CC3000/ccspi.h:57:17: fatal error: SPI.h: No such file or directory
 #include <SPI.h>
                 ^
compilation terminated.
Error compiling.

And if I also add the SPI library to the libraries folder I get this. Any docs anywhere that documents this? Also do you still have to do includes for the “standard” libraries? Becoming very confused here.

/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/Ethernet/src/Ethernet.cpp: In member function 'int EthernetClass::begin(uint8_t*)':
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/Ethernet/src/Ethernet.cpp:19:7: error: 'class SPIClass' has no member named 'beginTransaction'
       ^
In file included from /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/Ethernet/src/Ethernet.cpp:1:0:
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/Ethernet/src/utility/w5100.h:18:71: error: 'SPISettings' was not declared in this scope
                                                                       ^
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/Ethernet/src/Ethernet.cpp:19:24: note: in expansion of macro 'SPI_ETHERNET_SETTINGS'
                        ^
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/Ethernet/src/Ethernet.cpp:22:7: error: 'class SPIClass' has no member named 'endTransaction'
   SPI.endTransaction();
       ^
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/Ethernet/src/Ethernet.cpp:30:9: error: 'class SPIClass' has no member named 'beginTransaction'
         ^
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/Ethernet/src/Ethernet.cpp:34:9: error: 'class SPIClass' has no member named 'endTransaction'
     SPI.endTransaction();
         ^
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/Ethernet/src/Ethernet.cpp: In member function 'void EthernetClass::begin(uint8_t*, IPAddress, IPAddress, IPAddress, IPAddress)':
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/Ethernet/src/Ethernet.cpp:68:7: error: 'class SPIClass' has no member named 'beginTransaction'
       ^
In file included from /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/Ethernet/src/Ethernet.cpp:1:0:
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/Ethernet/src/utility/w5100.h:18:71: error: 'SPISettings' was not declared in this scope
                                                                       ^
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/Ethernet/src/Ethernet.cpp:68:24: note: in expansion of macro 'SPI_ETHERNET_SETTINGS'
                        ^
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/Ethernet/src/Ethernet.cpp:73:7: error: 'class SPIClass' has no member named 'endTransaction'
   SPI.endTransaction();
       ^
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/Ethernet/src/Ethernet.cpp: In member function 'int EthernetClass::maintain()':
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/Ethernet/src/Ethernet.cpp:89:13: error: 'class SPIClass' has no member named 'beginTransaction'
             ^
                                                                       ^
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/Ethernet/src/Ethernet.cpp:89:30: note: in expansion of macro 'SPI_ETHERNET_SETTINGS'
                              ^
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/Ethernet/src/Ethernet.cpp:93:13: error: 'class SPIClass' has no member named 'endTransaction'
         SPI.endTransaction();
             ^
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/Ethernet/src/Ethernet.cpp: In member function 'IPAddress EthernetClass::localIP()':
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/Ethernet/src/Ethernet.cpp:107:7: error: 'class SPIClass' has no member named 'beginTransaction'
       ^
                                                                       ^
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/Ethernet/src/Ethernet.cpp:107:24: note: in expansion of macro 'SPI_ETHERNET_SETTINGS'
                        ^
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/Ethernet/src/Ethernet.cpp:109:7: error: 'class SPIClass' has no member named 'endTransaction'
   SPI.endTransaction();
       ^
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/Ethernet/src/Ethernet.cpp: In member function 'IPAddress EthernetClass::subnetMask()':
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/Ethernet/src/Ethernet.cpp:116:7: error: 'class SPIClass' has no member named 'beginTransaction'
       ^
                                                                       ^
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/Ethernet/src/Ethernet.cpp:116:24: note: in expansion of macro 'SPI_ETHERNET_SETTINGS'
                        ^
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/Ethernet/src/Ethernet.cpp:118:7: error: 'class SPIClass' has no member named 'endTransaction'
   SPI.endTransaction();
       ^
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/Ethernet/src/Ethernet.cpp: In member function 'IPAddress EthernetClass::gatewayIP()':
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/Ethernet/src/Ethernet.cpp:125:7: error: 'class SPIClass' has no member named 'beginTransaction'
       ^
                                                                       ^
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/Ethernet/src/Ethernet.cpp:125:24: note: in expansion of macro 'SPI_ETHERNET_SETTINGS'
                        ^
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/Ethernet/src/Ethernet.cpp:127:7: error: 'class SPIClass' has no member named 'endTransaction'
   SPI.endTransaction();
       ^
Error compiling.

Libraries1.png

Sometime a library includes one of the standard libraries. But it is better to include that in the *.ino file.
I was wrong in my previous replay. Use ‘<’ and ‘>’ also for the Adafruit library.
I think this is preferred:

#include <SPI.h>
#include <Adafruit_CC3000.h>
... and so on

You could try a few examples of the Adafruit_CC3000 library, to check if those compile.

I don’t know what is in your own “libraries” folder, what is in your project folder, and if the Arduino IDE is still original. You might have to remove the Arduino IDE and install it again, clean your own “libraries” folder and install the new Adafruit CC3000 library, and check the files in your project.

Perhaps an improved version of the SPI library is used. You have to read the Adafruit site how to install the libraries.

Peter_n:
Sometime a library includes one of the standard libraries. But it is better to include that in the *.ino file.
I was wrong in my previous replay. Use ‘<’ and ‘>’ also for the Adafruit library.
I think this is preferred:

#include <SPI.h>

#include <Adafruit_CC3000.h>
… and so on

You could try a few examples of the Adafruit_CC3000 library, to check if those compile.

I don't know what is in your own "libraries" folder, what is in your project folder, and if the Arduino IDE is still original. You might have to remove the Arduino IDE and install it again, clean your own "libraries" folder and install the new Adafruit CC3000 library, and check the files in your project.

Perhaps an improved version of the SPI library is used. You have to read the Adafruit site how to install the libraries.

Been doing this a while that is what is throwing me on this. Currently all I have in the libraries folder is the Adafruit and timer library. Again is there docs that talk about the differences it the 1.6.x way of handling libraries. I have looked in a number of places but can’t find a thing. I am on a Mac so would you suggest I delete everything including anything in the (mac) library folders as well as preferences folders and install again? Thanks!

No, not the settings, not the preferences and not your "libraries" folder next to your project folders.
Do you have the newest version of the Adafruit_CC3000 library ?

In Windows the Arduino IDE is located at C: \ Program Files (x86) \ Arduino
Sometimes someone makes a change to that, and installing a new version could keep a few wrong files. Boldly deleting that and installing it again might help in such situation.
I don't know where the Arduino IDE is located on a mac.

OK I "think" I am a little closer. Have removed all traces of Arduino from my mac, all libraries, all setting files, all sketches, everything I could find. Have re-installed 1.6.1, added the Adafruit and timer libraries and the single sketch which is the in my first post. I tried to compile but still have the error below. This location on Macs is technically inside the app so at this point I have no idea as to how to resolve it. Feeling frustrated.

Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/Ethernet/src/utility/socket.cpp The library in this path is inside the app (icon) itself.

Arduino: 1.6.1 (Mac OS X), Board: "Arduino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)"

/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/Ethernet/src/utility/socket.cpp: In function 'uint8_t socket(SOCKET, uint8_t, uint16_t, uint8_t)':
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/Ethernet/src/utility/socket.cpp:14:12: error: 'close' was not declared in this scope
     close(s);
            ^
Error compiling.

In linux, using Arduino IDE 1.6.1 and selected Arduino Mega 2560.
Installed the library via the menu with the zip-file.
The zip file here : GitHub - adafruit/Adafruit_CC3000_Library: Library code for Adafruit's CC3000 WiFi breakouts &c
The examples ChatServer and WebClient compiled without problem.

I don't know which Timer library you use, therefor I can't test your sketch in your first post.
What happens if you try to compile those examples ?
I think I read that one of the developers pointed to a special build for the mac a few days ago, but I can't find it.

Just tried what you suggested and the chat server compiled fine. I then took my sketch and removed all references to the timer library that I was using and again it would not compile. Do you think I need to report this as a bug? But what really bothers me is that I always save a working version of what I am working on and change the name to reflect the version. This was a working version before I upgraded to 1.6.x

d

Arduino: 1.6.1 (Mac OS X), Board: "Arduino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)"

/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/Ethernet/src/utility/socket.cpp: In function 'uint8_t socket(SOCKET, uint8_t, uint16_t, uint8_t)':
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/Ethernet/src/utility/socket.cpp:14:12: error: 'close' was not declared in this scope
     close(s);
            ^
Error compiling.

Stopped trying to figure it out. Downgraded to 1.0.6 and sketch compiles with no problem. Have reported this as a bug. Thanks for the help from everyone.

d

You have old, pre-1.6.x libraries in your sketchbook libraries folder. They're overriding the proper ones inside Arduino.