Those 'buckled' connectors on sensor shield v5

I finally tracked down 'dupont 2.54 pitch connectors' as being what mate with the header strips. I can get them by the 100's from China on eBay.

Now I've discovered the Sensor Shield and it has some different connectors. Seems these are called 'buckled' connectors. It's fine they include several patch cables with connectors but I really want to find a source of JUST the connectors, like I was able to do for the 'unbuckled' dupont connectors.

So far I have come up empty. All I have found is one place that sells the board-mount female half. What are these called and do you know of a good bulk source for just the male connector shells?

JohnHoward: I finally tracked down 'dupont 2.54 pitch connectors' as being what mate with the header strips. I can get them by the 100's from China on eBay.

It shouldn't have taken much tracking down - those are standard 0.1" pitch headers, available all over the place.

JohnHoward: Now I've discovered the Sensor Shield and it has some different connectors. Seems these are called 'buckled' connectors. It's fine they include several patch cables with connectors but I really want to find a source of JUST the connectors, like I was able to do for the 'unbuckled' dupont connectors.

So far I have come up empty. All I have found is one place that sells the board-mount female half. What are these called and do you know of a good bulk source for just the male connector shells?

Sorry, I don't have a sensor shield and I don't know what the connectors are like.

Headers, yes (or cables, even) but they are rather obscure if you are looking for connectors alone. Everybody's got them pre-wired with short lengths of wire. The 'dupont' moniker makes for an excellent search critera so I wanted to pass that along if others are looking.

But the other ones (with buckles) are the real topic at hand.

It's easy to get 0.1" housings with various terminal counts, and mail and female terminals by the roll - they're easy to locate once you know that they're just 0.1" headers. You can also get prewired ribbon cable which I find very handy. Sorry this doesn't help you with the other connectors, do you have pictures or any further info about them?

http://arduino-info.wikispaces.com/SensorShield

(as labelled, SVG Analog 0 through 5)

What you describe as a 'buckled' connector I would call a latching connector. Google turned up a lot of places offering to sell assembled cables that look identical, but I didn't spot anybody selling the connectors on their own. Presumably the people who assemble those cables have them, so you could try contacting the people at Yourduino and see whether they will sell you some or recommend a supplier.

I believe the buckled cable is part of the electronics bricks set of sensors. I think these originally came from Seeedstudio: http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/electronic-brick-fully-buckled-3-wire-cable-5-pcs-pack-p-485.html

If you live in the USA, the distributor robotshop sells them for faster delivery :http://www.robotshop.com/seeedstudio-electronic-brick-3-wire-cable.html

I'm sure there are other US distributors you can get these from, just search around.

If you don't have the bucked cable on the other side, you can always use wire cutters to cut the wires, and strip the ends for normal male cables.

You can use the normal 3 pin interface instead of using the buckled bricks, using 3 joined female/female cables, or female/male depending on your needs, possibly using hot-glue or solder to attach them for more stability.

Here is an introduction to the electronic bricks: http://www.rugcommunity.org/page/seeed-studio-electronic-brick

I’ll keep looking around. What I really would like is to identify a wholesale source in China where I can buy just the connector shell in bulk. But first I need to locate a part or manufacturer. I’ll try to contact one of the retailers to see if they can provide some info. Buying the patch cords, pulling the contacts and replacing with my own pins/wires is a last resort.

These look like conventional fan connectors as found in PC motherboard applications, but then again just a slight difference may exist in the dimensions or the latch/buckle. Maybe I should buy a Sensor Shield and work it from that direction. I could see if one of my fan connectors mates with the SS socket and answer that part of the question.

Since the cable assemblies only cost pence each, if you've got a serious interest in sourcing them I suggest that getting hold of a few examples from different sources is a no-brainer. This will also enable you to get details of the terminals needed. Also have a trawl through catalogs for digikey and similar suppliers and see if you can recognise them.

If you aren't planning to compete with Yourduino or Seeduino, you have nothing to lose by simply asking them to recommend a supplier. The worst they can do is say 'no'. Then again, perhaps they already have.

Hi,

If you aren't planning to compete with Yourduino or Seeduino, you have nothing to lose by simply asking them to recommend a supplier.

Actually I'd be happy to ask my supplier for these in bulk. You also need the female crimp-on pins that snap into the connectors, right??

We sell several variants on these cables:

• both ends "Buckled" (Took me a day to figure THAT one out, 2 years ago!) we would say "Latched"
  • one end Latched, other end flat 3-pin (FITS multiple cables on the Sensor Shields and our YourDuinoRobo1 which is a 328 variant with built-in 3-pin connectors.
  • One end flat, other end separate female connectors, to connect to arbitrary modules.

And, if none of that fits, or you need more conductors, we have what I called the "Cablemaker" which is a 40-wide flat cable with female connector ends that you can easily strip off any number of jumpers and make the cable you need. If there's a Gender issue we supply male-male pin strips to fix that.

Take a look at this page on the ArduinoInfo.Info wiki: http://arduino-info.wikispaces.com/Cables as it says, "Arduino is great but sometimes connecting interesting things to it can be a pain."

How many of the 3-pin female 'latched' bodies and crimp pins would you want? I'll need to have my friend in Shenzhen China ask old Mr. Weida about them. He likes us because we have him make about 1000 cables a month for us.

If you want to compete, you'll find a way; I'm not worried about that. Let's just make this damned stuff work.

Excuse all the talk about sexes and bodies :P

FYI, These connectors appear to be Molex and can be purchased at digikey in bulk.

PN: WM2901-ND

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/molex-llc/0050579403/WM2901-ND/115034

I buy them from Mouser. I use the brand name TE Connectivity and their name for this series is AMPMODU MTE. A long time ago I spent a couple of hundred bucks and got 10 of every connector (plug, socket, inline, 90 degree and straight) for every size between 2 and 12 pins.

One strange thing in the TE part numbers is they started numbering their parts at 1. So a part number ending in 1 has two pins, ending in 9 has 10 pins.