Three 12v inputs to one 12v output

New to Arduino and I’ve been searching the web for a couple days now w no solution.

I’m working on a project in my car so that if the arduino gets in 3 separate 12v power signals all at once that are controlled by toggle switches it sends a 12v power signal to an mini linear actuator with limit switches on each side. If one of the (input)switches turns off it reverses the (output)polarity and sends signal.

All 3 switches(input) must be on to send a output signal if one switch is off nothing happens.

I was thinking of using a nano with a mosfet to control the actuator. Any help/ideas are greatly appreciated.

What have you tried ?
Can you reverse the output polarity using a MOSFET ?

Your idea looks good. For the inputs a wired AND (3 diodes) may work.

pjfdsjk:
New to Arduino and I’ve been searching the web for a couple days now w no solution.

I’m working on a project in my car so that if the arduino gets in 3 separate 12v power signals all at once that are controlled by toggle switches it sends a 12v power signal to an mini linear actuator with limit switches on each side. If one of the (input)switches turns off it reverses the (output)polarity and sends signal.

All 3 switches(input) must be on to send a output signal if one switch is off nothing happens.

I was thinking of using a nano with a mosfet to control the actuator. Any help/ideas are greatly appreciated.

No arduino: 3 switches in series to a relay. KISS.

RIN67630:
No arduino: 3 switches in series to a relay. KISS.

+1 relay is DPDT so it can reverse direction

The problem with 3 switches in a series to a relay is each switch has to be able to complete an independent circuit (ac air recirculating door unlock etc..) that was my first idea and tried to draw a wiring diagram and realized this.

So I figured I needed some kind of computer control and always wanted to do something w a arduino.

Right now it’s just a proof of concept and wanted to run it by a couple people more experienced.

From my basic understanding of electrical a mosfet should be able to reverse polarity but is more complicated then a simple relay. If a relay will work I’d rather use one of those but idk if it will.

How do you reverse the actuator?

pjfdsjk:
The problem with 3 switches in a series to a relay is each switch has to be able to complete an independent circuit (ac air recirculating door unlock etc..) that was my first idea and tried to draw a wiring diagram and realized this.

Switches exist as double inverters, one for the main function, one for the series chain.

JCA34F:
How do you reverse the actuator?

By reversing the polarity

RIN67630:
Switches exist as double inverters, one for the main function, one for the series chain.

I’m not sure what you mean by this?

The problem with 3 switches in a series to a relay is each switch has to be able to complete an independent circuit (ac air recirculating door unlock etc..)

Use a double pole switch

you can easily add a voltage divider pair of resistors and connect the center to an OPTO-ISOLATOR. that can signal the Arduino for the switch state. the opto adds a layer of protection for the Arduino.
you can use just the voltage divider into the Arduino, but you rely on the voltage to never get too high.

the arduino can then know the state of each switch

if 1 and 2 and 3 are all high
motor forward
if not, the reverse.

as for the motor, please post a link if you need help selecting a driver
you can use a DPDT relay for the task
or use a motor driver, but whatever you use, the suggestion has always been to oversize the rating by double.
often the Chinese translation to amps is off by about half.

pjfdsjk:
By reversing the polarity

Well, that's clever. :confused:
Do you mean:

if (all switches are ON)
  extend actuator;
else if (all switches are OFF)
  retract actuator;

?

dave-in-nj:
you can easily add a voltage divider pair of resistors and connect the center to an OPTO-ISOLATOR. that can signal the Arduino for the switch state. the opto adds a layer of protection for the Arduino.
you can use just the voltage divider into the Arduino, but you rely on the voltage to never get too high.

the arduino can then know the state of each switch

if 1 and 2 and 3 are all high
motor forward
if not, the reverse.

Genius I’m gonna try this

I’ve decided to try a L298N driver with an uno and the opto isolators everything is in the mail I’ll keep u updated

Question 1: can I use the dc jack to power uno with 12v? Or will this make the board to hot since it usually uses 5v? I figure I can wire it into the fuse box somewhere to turn on when the car does.

Question 2: do I need 12v in to put 12v out? or can I step down from 12v to 9v in then 9v to 12v step up output to regulate board temp? Actuator needs 12v.