three 315Mhz transmitters to 1 reciever, not sure where to hook up to arduino

I am starting a project using one arduino uno, it is going to have 3 people with transmitters, and the uno is going to be hooked up to the reciever. then when one of the buttons are pressed the receiver will activate the motor until released. what I do not know is if those parts I selected will work together, and if they do what would hook up to what part on the arduino uno, and how to pair the 3 transmitters with one receiver. Thanks!

Do you need to know which transmitter is which? Or which button has been pressed?

Which button is being pressed, if it is from transmitter 1 or 3 it shouldn't matter, as long as it can receive the signal from any of the transmitters

What range do you require?

How reliable has the system got to be?

How quickly does the system need to respond to button presses?

Transmitter has to be talking the same 'protocol' as the receiver for a valid message to be recognized - you are mixing them.
Use the transmitter you showed with a promini, have all devices running virtualwire so messages are valid.

rogerClark:
What range do you require?

How reliable has the system got to be?

How quickly does the system need to respond to button presses?

I the range doesn't need to be very far, because we will be within 15ft of it when we use it

I would prefer the system to be reliable

I would like it to respond fairly quickly, like not sitting there for 5 seconds waiting for it to respond to the button

CrossRoads:
Transmitter has to be talking the same 'protocol' as the receiver for a valid message to be recognized - you are mixing them.
Use the transmitter you showed with a promini, have all devices running virtualwire so messages are valid.

So Should I use the transmitter receiver set, or the set of 3 transmitters with the receiver in the set, and is there any reason I should use a ProMini instead of the uno?

Promini with transmitter here will make for an inexpensive unit.
Will run longer on battery than Uno.
315 MHz needs longer antenna, ~23cm.

Usually running more than one transmitter on a particular channel will just end up with garbage .....unless you intend to activate the transmitters one at a time.

Even then, what stops two or more presses at one time?

So instead of the set of 3 transmitters, just use the one in the set with the mini, and use the uno? or just use the mini instead of the uno as the reciever?

bluejets:
Usually running more than one transmitter on a particular channel will just end up with garbage .....unless you intend to activate the transmitters one at a time.

Even then, what stops two or more presses at one time?

so should I just go with one transmitter, and I just have it somewhere we could grab it and use when needed instead of having our own?

I think a couple of drawings would be helpful as you may have ideas on where you are going but the rest of us are just guessing I'm afraid.

bluejets:
I think a couple of drawings would be helpful as you may have ideas on where you are going but the rest of us are just guessing I'm afraid.

is this what you meant? this it would look very similar to this

mmm...I meant some type of flowchart really... :expressionless:

if that doesn't help please tell me what you need me to do in order to help. Thanks!

Having multiple transmitters in that situation is no problem - as long as both aren't transmitting at the same time, which would likely result in the receiver seeing nothing but gibberish.

Each transmitter needs an arduino to control it.

The receiver also needs an arduino.

The transmitter pins can be any pin, set to OUTPUT. Receiver, any pin set to INPUT.

You need to send a code from the transmitter, which the receiver must be able to interpret. It will NOT work to just turn on the transmitter continuously - those receivers automatically adjust the gain to ambient conditions, trying to get a 50% duty cycle. So if the signal is constant, it will adjust it's gain until noise gives it something around a 50% duty cycle.

With what you're describing, you'll want your transmitters to continually send the code while the button is pressed.

You can either make your own receiver code (I did this recently), or use the virtualwire library.

Once the receiver gets the code, just have it do whatever you need it, while continuing to listen (ie, blink-without-delay style - see the thread on doing multiple things at once), so if it hasn't gotten the code within so many seconds, it stops doing... whatever you have it doing.

DrAzzy:
Each transmitter needs an arduino to control it.

I beleive there are dedicated ICs for blasting out a pulse appropriate for cheap RF (and IR, for that matter) modules. Here's one random example I found on the web, there are no doubt others: http://www.radiometrix.com/files/additional/cta88.pdf

According to the ebay ad in the original post, those transmitters use the SC-2260 chip to encode the transmissions. That is a fixed code and is normally decoded with a companion chip. VirtualWire will not work. Unfortunately the data rate is not standardized so you will have to do some searching to figure out how to decode the transmissions.

The RCSwitch library might be a place to start. Also, Adafruit sells very similar keyfob transmitters with matching receivers, which would be a no-arduino solution. http://www.adafruit.com/product/1095

jremington:
According to the ebay ad in the original post, those transmitters use the SC-2260 chip to encode the transmissions. That is a fixed code and is normally decoded with a companion chip. VirtualWire will not work. Unfortunately the data rate is not standardized so you will have to do some searching to figure out how to decode the transmissions.

The RCSwitch library might be a place to start. Also, Adafruit sells very similar keyfob transmitters with matching receivers, which would be a no-arduino solution. http://www.adafruit.com/product/1095

Ok, with the keyfob how would the receivers make it a no arduino solution? it would still need to hook up to something right?

I am also sorry, I am fairly new to arduino, I haven't really done many big projects before.

one of the buttons are pressed the receiver will activate the motor until released

If you will take a moment to look at the Adafruit link I provided, you will see that the receivers do exactly what you want to do. No Arduino required.

Can use these:
Tell each person to press one button
http://www.lightobject.com/4Ch-RF-Remote-Tx-Unit-IC-1527-metal-case-P211.aspx
One receiver with four outputs - use individually, tie together logically so no matter who presses the output is active, or tell everyone to press the same button, ...
http://www.lightobject.com/4CH-RF-Remote-Control-TxRx-Kit-module-P110.aspx

Kits also available with a relay or two or 4 on the receiver.
http://www.lightobject.com/RF-Controller-C8.aspx