Three-Phase current monitoring

Hello everyone!

I want to create a Three-Phase current monitoring system for the company I'm currently working on. The goal is to live measure the electric consumptions of this big machines we have in here. They are connected to 380v and use 1000KVA.

What I want to do is have an Arduino board report by socket or http to a server were all the measurements will be processed. I know there are this kind of electric monitoring hardware, but I'm now sure if they come arduino compatible. Any tip you may have about hardware or the approach will be very much appreciated!

Thanks.

@fceruti

EDIT:

Maybe I should clarify that I'm a software developer, and this would be my first real hardware project. So maybe a previous question is whether arduino is the right platform. Also, I'm unable to find current measuring addons... please help, I'm really lost in here.

The safe conservative approach is to have a qualified electrician fit a meter in line with your machine, and walk over and read it from time to time.

As far as I can see, any other approach is going to involve buying a clamp meter that can provide the data in a form you like, or making your own (and then calibrating it over the range of currents you intend to measure, which will not be easy unless you have also got another known accurate meter to calibrate it against).

Hi @fceruti, take a look at the RS components website www.rswww.com and look at current transformers, there is a range of "current clamps" which can be installed over existing wiring without involving heavy electrical modifications. these transducers provide a whole range of outputs from 4-20mA 0-5v and in some cases mV outputs. find one you like and pull up the data sheet, its a cool place to start, dont be fixated on 3 phase as single current transformers will provide more valuable. in the industrial environment it is likely that single phase supplies are distributed across phases ie. lighting circuits. load imballance is another piece of information that will be invaluable to you. you might want to look into power factor correction, big companise play with capacitance and inductance to gain more power for their buck. i imagine you already have a few ideas of what you want from your project yourself. best of luck J.