three suggestions to the editor

First, a find option to find a string as a complete word would be nice. Example: finding "space" as a complete word will find "space = 33;" but not "space_odd = 3". This option should be switchable on/off.

Second, setting the cursor to a closing brace '}' in a code will show the code line with the opening brace '{' in an additional small window on top of the screen, if it is located outside the screen. Now it would be nice to jump to the line with the opening brace by clicking on the displayed line on top of the screen. Alternatively, the line number of the line with the opening brace should be displayed.

Third, a tedious effect should be eliminated when searching a string upwards, i.e. "previous". When the string is found outside the screen all the text is scrolled and the line with the found string is displayed as the first line on the screen and this line is shown additionally in a small window above the code line.

When this happens it is not possible to continue searching by just clicking "previous". It is necessary to click somewhere into the text to cause the additional line to disappear. After this additional click search can be continued. It seems to me that this only happens when the search string is a function name.

SupArdu: First, a find option to find a string as a complete word would be nice. Example: finding "space" as a complete word will find "space = 33;" but not "space_odd = 3". This option should be switchable on/off.

There is an existing feature request for this: https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/issues/3727

SupArdu: Now it would be nice to jump to the line with the opening brace by clicking on the displayed line on top of the screen.

You mind find it helpful to know there is an undocumented keyboard shortcut: Ctrl + { that causes the cursor to jump from one bracket to its matching bracket.

SupArdu: Third, a tedious effect should be eliminated when searching a string upwards, i.e. "previous". When the string is found outside the screen all the text is scrolled and the line with the found string is displayed as the first line on the screen and this line is shown additionally in a small window above the code line.

When this happens it is not possible to continue searching by just clicking "previous". It is necessary to click somewhere into the text to cause the additional line to disappear. After this additional click search can be continued. It seems to me that this only happens when the search string is a function name.

I haven't been able to reproduce this. Which version of the Arduino IDE are you using? I have encountered some similar issues in the past, which I submitted bug reports for:

I have encountered some similar issues in the past, which I submitted bug reports for:

https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/issues/6157

This is exactly what I mean.

Ok, but for me it's only a cosmetic problem, it doesn't interfere with further searching, other than the focus being stolen from the Find window. If I understand what you said correctly:

SupArdu: When this happens it is not possible to continue searching by just clicking "previous". It is necessary to click somewhere into the text to cause the additional line to disappear.

You are experiencing a different behavior related to the bug. If you can verify that it still occurs with Arduino IDE 1.8.11, and the beta build of the Arduino IDE, then you might comment on that GitHub issue to explain the problem you're having. That might make it a higher priority for the Arduino developers to fix.

So now I think we have determined that your suggestions 1 and 3 are at least on the official "to-do" list already. If you would like to add your second feature request to the list, you can do so here: https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/issues