Through hole socket for FTDI UART chip?

I wondered if anyone here was fluent in chips and socket styles, and knew of a through hole socket that can hold a FT232RQ "QFN 5mm x 5mm" or some other combination to make a through hole out of a ftdi UART chip?

(edit: without involving SMD soldering)

Thanks in advance.

Try googling "QFN test socket", as the only place this kind of thing is used is in adapter sockets for programmers. They're not cheap: the ones here are $75 and up.


Are you talking about something like

It's a mini PCB that you can solder an SOIC to so it will have the form factor of a normal DIP.

I haven’t learned all the terms yet, and have no clue about the details, but I was thinking (hoping) an inexpensive PLCC (or something like PLCC) type socket with through holes could hold one of the FTDI UART chips. And make it a through hole project. Or possibly wrap the legs on the RL chip around it if they make a through hole socket for that configuration.


The QFN version is much smaller than a PLCC (think less than 1/4" x 1/4"). I think a test-socket is about the closest your going to get. Something like this (SOIC sockets are dramatically cheaper than the QFN variant).

You can make your own breakout board using a Schmartboard. Schmartboards are pre-etched to hold a SMD chip, and then all you have to do is tack it on. I'm not explaining it well, but it's really easy, and you don't need any extra equipment. It'll run about $10, which is cheaper than many of the sockets. Add some headers and you have a through-hole part.

Not sure how much you want to spend to mount a chip that cheap, though.

'preciate the responses. I did find a 28 pin SSOP to dip adapter for $0.70, similiar to what oracle mentioned: , I might sharpen up my iron and experiment with one of those.