Thumb-sticks have a lot of exterior deadzone.

Hello, newb here. Let me know if this is the wrong sub-forum.

I wanted to add a thumb stick to a keyboard like this product:

I actually have it all together(the electronics are mostly working) but the last 3rd of the thumb-stick movement does seem to give em any values.

Pro-Micro Leonardo
Thumb-stick

Anyone have any ideas why not all of the movement is being used?

Do I need a better quality thumb-stick?

Am I getting interference from internally routing the wires?

I soldered thumb-stick’s +5V to Arduino’s Vcc. Is this how I’m supposed to power the thumb-stick?

Thanks for checkin this out.

g510s_new_cleaned_up.ino (1.59 KB)

In the future, please post your code according to the instructions in the sticky post at the top named "How to use this forum - please read"

Can you put in a serial.print() of the lx and ly values immediately following the analogRead() commands? What values do you get with the stick centered? Full left? Full right? Full up? Full down?

X axis centered:509. Y Axis centered: stutters between 515 - 516.

Up and left go up 1023. Down and right go to 0. But in all directions they reach these values too early with about a 3rd of the sticks available movement left.

Do I need a better quality thumb-stick?..........Price: US $0.94 .............But in all directions they reach these values too early with about a 3rd of the sticks available movement left.

I think you've just answered your own query.

Any recommendations or how much one should cost?

Less than USD1500, although sometimes there are reasons to pay more than that.

Ok thanks everyone.

Cheapie.........

https://www.banggood.com/Joystick-potentiometer-JH-D202X-R2R4-10K-2D-Monitor-Keyboard-ball-controller-For-Photographic-Film-p-1144188.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN

Expensive ........

https://www.banggood.com/FrSky-MC12P-High-Sensitivity-Hall-Sensor-Gimbal-for-Horus-X12S-X10-X10S-RC-FPV-Racing-Drone-p-1296495.html?rmmds=search&ID=224&cur_warehouse=CN

and anywhere in between

You don't need another thumbstick. It's a hardware calibration problem. Look at the sketch for the calibration section and adjust your values.