Time delay circuit

Hey guys

I've been playing with LED circuits for a while now, familiarizing myself with Arduino, but no I'm looking to do something with a bit more advanced circuitry.

I'm planning out a motorized target range for use with a BB gun. I just need some conceptual advice on how to do certain things. The main idea is that a target will get hit, fall back onto a microswitch, this should energize a motor to push the target back up and add a point to a score on a 7-seg display, plus there'll be some LED's involved somewhere. The part I'm not sure about is the delaying of the motor. I want the button to be part of the same circuit as the motor to save myself a pin on the Arduino because I plan to have a bunch of these all hooked up to a single nano. So I need the motor to work something like this: Target hits switch -> delay 3 seconds -> energize motor -> auto disconnect motor after 2 seconds.

Never mind the rest of the circuit, I'll probably start building this with just the motor and switch hooked up. I'm unsure of how to introduce these delays just using components. I've looked up basic delay circuits (NOTC, NCTO), but they don't suite my requirements. If it's less hassle to just use up a pin on the Arduino then I'll do just that.

Using millis() for non blocking timing.
Doing several things at a time (more advanced millis() timing)

groundFungus: Using millis() for non blocking timing. Doing several things at a time (more advanced millis() timing)

Thanks but not what I'm looking for.

To clarify a bit further, I want to delay using analogue components, the motor should not even be aware of the Arduino, it's just receives a input from the button and then it does it's own thing. The same button/switch will be used to tally a score and update other stuff via the Arduino.

I did some further reading, looks like I need a "single shot" or "interval on" timer.

Google delay timer relay

hammy: Google delay timer relay

Those are a bit pricey for this project, I'm looking at setting up 5 or more of these things. I'd much prefer to do this with components I already have, or whatever I can get easily for a doller or 2.

As I said, if it's too expensive or complicated I'll just have to sacrifice an extra pin and do it the easy way.