time frame on the cache for aduino

hi all, simple question from a newbie..

if i programmed my arduino with lets say the light blink program.. and then turned it off ie removed power, how long would that program remain in the system..

example..

i load into the arduino the light blink program, then have an errand to run, so unplug the arduino, would that program still be on say 5 hours later, or would i have to redownload it. what is the time frame for having to redo it. and is there anyway IE a battery backup to keep it in the memmory..
Cheers
keith

krappleby:
if i programmed my arduino with lets say the light blink program.. and then turned it off ie removed power, how long would that program remain in the system..

Until the end of time.

krappleby:
hi all, simple question from a newbie..

The program is stored in non-volatile flash memory.

That is the same type of memory as used in USB mass storage sticks.

If your controller is kept within the specified temperature range, it will stay stored for 20 years or more.

May ybe significant less time if you store the controller above a temperature of 50 degrees Celsius or 122 degrees Fahrenheit.

jurs:
May ybe significant less time if you store the controller above a temperature of 50 degrees Celsius or 122 degrees Fahrenheit.

You are not even close.

Atmel's guarantee...

Data retention: 20 years at 85°C/100 years at 25°C

In other words, if the Arduino is kept at room temperature the program stored in Flash is guaranteed to persist until @krappleby expires.